Tuesday 26 July 2016

More new movie trailers! Justice League and Suicide Squad!

It's certainly a busy time for trailer fans lately. Just two days ago, I was looking at the new promo videos for Dr Strange and Wonder Woman, and now, lucky me, I get to do it all over again.

This time, the trailers are for Justice League and Suicide Squad. So, don't read beyond this point if you don't want to be spoilerised.




Having taken a look at them, I have to say they both look somewhat less promising than the Dr Strange and Wonder Woman movies.

The Justice League one seems to be the better of the two but still feels somewhat lazy and dull with no hint at all as to just what menace it is they're going to be facing. Call me overly-conventional but I do feel that super-hero trailers should make some sort of effort to create the impression that there's actually some sort of peril to our heroes or to others. The trailer's total lack of such menace creates the impression that they're just going to spend the whole movie stood around saying hello to each other. I suspect that may not be the case and that there must be some degree of threat involved at some point in the proceedings.

The portrayal of the Flash looks like it's going to get annoying quite quickly. On the other hand, it's good to see Conan playing Aquaman.

I know I'm going to invite the wrath of all sane humans but, overall, viewing it felt eerily like watching that Justice League TV movie of about twenty years ago; only, shot with more style.

Having said that, I actually enjoyed the Justice League TV movie of about twenty years ago, so maybe I shouldn't complain.

As for Suicide Squad, other than the presence of Will Smith, there's nothing in the trailer that gives me any reason to want to see the movie. It all has a sense of random pointlessness about it that suggests intellectual waywardness on behalf of those who bankrolled it.

Its only other point of interest to me is that Margot Robbie's in it and she used to be in Neighbours and I always find it strangely exciting to see people from Neighbours turn up in American TV shows and movies. The power of Jim Robinson to turn up in seemingly everything over the years has always been a source of wonder to me.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. If you have thoughts on the two movies, feel free to express them in the comments box below.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It seems to me that these movie adaptions of comic books are definitely hit or miss. I enjoyed the Batman trilogy (the second was the best), Watchmen was a classic, and I absolutely loved Guardians of the Galaxy. But I can't get into what D.C. is doing because it's so dark, and the Avengers movies are mostly noise and CGI.
I agree, Aquaman shows some promise, and Margot Robbie piques my curiosity!
I'm waiting to see what they do with Thanos. I've been following his checkered career since the '70's.
M.P.