Sunday 5 August 2018

Fifty years ago this month - August 1968.

August 1968 was a sad month for all those who love to see smoke belching from chimneys and steam flying in all directions, because it was the month in which the last steam-powered passenger train service in Britain came to an end.

And it wasn't the only thing threatening to hit the buffers because that was also the month in which Ringo Starr quit the Beatles, thanks to frustrations with recording Back in the USSR and arguments with Paul McCartney.

Still, it wasn't all bad news because, during his absence, Ringo was inspired to write Octopus's Garden before returning, which is surely his greatest songwriting contribution to the group.

Proving that nothing could derail the Beatles, even when they were taking it in turns to quit the band, in that same month, Hey Jude came out. It became the Beatles' best-selling 45 and, reportedly,  the world's 10th best-selling single of all time.

Avengers #55, the New Masters of Evil

It's another classic tale from my personal favourite Avengers era, as our heroes take on the New Masters of Evil and their mystery employer the Crimson Cowl, AKA Jarvis the Butler, AKA Ultron.

I have always thought there's something odd about the Panther on that cover. It always looks to me like his head's been redrawn by a totally different artist.

As it's hard to see why anyone would ever feel the need to redraw anything created by Big John Buscema, I wonder if he originally drew T'Challa with his face completely covered and then someone hastily decided to redraw him with his mouth and nose showing. Marvel never seemed to be able to decide how his mask should look, back in those days.

Captain America #104, the Exiles

Captain America finds himself up against the world's deadliest geriatrics, as he battles the Exiles on their island of doom.

Daredevil #43, Captain America

At some point in our childhood we'd all asked the question, "Who'd win a fight between Daredevil and Captain America?"

Well, admittedly, I'd never asked it. It always seemed obvious to me that Cap might have been a super-soldier but DD could do everything he could and had the advantage of super-senses, meaning he'd, surely, have the edge necessary to triumph.

As it transpires, in this tale, those senses turn out to be more of a liability because, thanks to them, Hornhead gets turned evil by radiation and decides to beat up Cap in a boxing ring, for no noticeable reason.

As was Stan Lee's normal procedure, by the end of the scrap, we still don't know who'd win a fight between two Marvel heroes.

Fantastic Four #77, Psycho-Man

The FF are still trying to get the Silver Surfer to hand himself into Galactus. And that means they have to defy the will of Psycho-Man who, if I remember correctly, decides to stop fighting them when he realises that if he vanquishes them it'll mean Galactus destroys the world.

He might be called Psycho-Man but it's heartening to know he can be reasonable when he needs to.
Incredible Hulk #106, the Missing Link

The Hulk's still having trouble with the Missing Link and his rather unfortunate tendency to explode without warning.

I love the Missing Link. He should definitely have his own comic.

Iron Man #4, the Unicorn

I'm pretty sure I've read this tale but I can recall nothing of what happens in it.

Amazing Spider-Man #63, the two Vultures

Because one Vulture's never enough, we get two of them, as the mighty Blackie Drago makes his feather flapping debut.

Admittedly, he's a mere imitator and not a patch on the real thing.

Which is ironic because he promptly defeats Spidey, leaving the original Vulture looking like a chump for having always failed to manage that feat.

Thor #155, Mangog

Hooray! My favourite marauding monster's on the loose, as Mangog decides to give Asgard the good flattening he thinks it deserves.

But where is Odin while all this is going on?

Why, he's fast asleep, of course. And no one dares alert him because he gets angry with you if you wake him.

Personally, bearing in mind there's an unstoppable monster rampaging around and slaughtering everyone in sight, I'd risk it.

17 comments:

dangermash aka The Artistic Actuary said...

Got to correct you on Blackie Drago, Steve.

He debuted in ASM #48, where he did indeed beat Spider-Man, but then Spider-Man beat blackie and Kraven in ASM #49.

The big fight in ASM #63 is between the two vultures, and it's Adrian Toombes that beats Backie Drago. And then in ASM#64, Spider-Man will beat Toombes.

The weird thing for me in that issue is that Toombes escapes but the next time he's mentioned (when the third vulture pops up in the Conway/Andru run) it turns out Toombes is in prison. For once someone ends up in prison for unexplained reasons, whereas normally someone's out of prison for unexplained reasons e.g.Enforcers being beaten in ASM #10, turning up again and getting beaten in ASM #14, turning up again in ASM #19. Either prison sentences are really short or somebody keeps springing them.

On a separate subject, interesting that the Unicorn is still seen as a worthy Iron Man villain. After being one of Count Nefaria's henchmen in X-Men 22-23 along with Scarecrow, Plantman, Porcupine and Eel I assumed he was demoted to permanent d-lister status.

Steve W. said...

Thanks for the Vulture correction, Dangermash. I must confess that I got nightmarishly confused about the order of events.

Anonymous said...

Waitaminnit. That song was titled "Hey Jude"?
I thought it was "Hey Dude." I've been singing the wrong lyrics in my car with the radio for over thirty years! I feel like an idiot!
On a different note, I always dug the Malevolent, Mordant Mangog. Sure, he was pretty bull-headed (literally), but he could give Goldilocks a run for his money. He always came through with the mass destruction and wild, poetic utterings of cosmic doom!!
"Where is the Cowardly Odin?! I shall wreak my unholy vengeance upon him and Asgard! I am Hate Incarnate!!! AAARRRGHH!!!!"
Yup, he could really liven up a dull day in the Nine Worlds.

M.P.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Dangermash... You just solved a huge mystery for me!!! Of all the coincidences, I was just reading a couple issues of Marvel Tales printed in 1971-72 and they are about the Blacky Vulture - Spidey - Kraven rompus. The Marvel Tales did not print which original #s of ASM the stories appeared in. SO thanks for that!

To be fair, Spidey lost to Blacky Vulture b/c Spidey had the flu. He could barely see straight or stand up even. (I am taking that at face value; no idea if something more sinister was lurking for Spidey than the flu in alter issues.)

Ummm- UK Dudes can I ask a UK question? I was just channel surfing and stumbled over a talk show hosted by Ronnie Wood. It was actually pretty entertaining. Anyhow Ronnie is talking with his guest and the guest was having Ronnie play a recording of a Stevie Wonder song. They then roll into the Blind Faith song "Can't Fine my way Home" sung by Steve Winwood. Ronnie points that in the USA we had Little Stevie Wonder with the amazing voice and in the UK you had Little Stevie Winwood with the amazing voice. Is that correct what Ronnie Wood is saying about Winwood? He was especially recognized as having a phenomenal voice? And, did you call him Little Stevie Winwood? Or is Ron just using that as an analogy? This is important. Please respond ASAP!

Ronnie is chock full of anecdotes from the Stones. He was going on about the New Barbarians, lol. Remember them?

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Let me see... Nefaria's Henchman vs. the Ringmaster's Circus. Good grief that should be a week's worth of blog in itself?

B.t.w. did the Henchman ever attack an Avenger's wedding by popping out of a cake? Or where they a little more clever than that?

I apologize in advance b/c these stupendous covers have inspired a bunch of questions I am itching to ask, LOL.

B Smith said...

Charlie Horse, I don't believe Steve Winwood was known as Little Stevie Winwood...I think Ronnie might have been pulling someone's leg there (a quick check that he was called Stevie Winwood when he joined the Spencer Davis Group at the age of 14, but not when he quit a couple of years later).

But he was considered to have a great voice - have a listen to the lead vocals on the Spencer Davis Group's "Keep On Running" or Gimme Some Lovin'" and consider that he was all of 17 when he sang 'em.

Anonymous said...

That's interesting. I was just listening to Spencer Davis Group doing "I'm a Man" last night on You Tube. The swirling organ and the karate-chop vocals are amazing.
It's synchronicity we were all thinking about the same thing. Great minds think alike!

M.P.

Steve W. said...

Charlie, I can't remember any super-villains other than the Circus of Crime ever trying to use a wedding cake as a vehicle for infiltration.

dangermash aka The Artistic Actuary said...

Nefaria's henchmen's greatest achievement didn't involve wedding cakes. In X-Men 22, the X-Men headed out to what looks like it might be Central Park (? somewhere with lots of paths, grass and trees, anyway). They forget everything they've ever been taught and decide to split up into five invividuals (none of this you take the dog and the speccy Shaggy, me and Daphne will check out upstairs). And in five 1 vs 1 battles, the henchmen score a 5-0 victory. Obviously the X-Men win in #23. I can’t remember for sure but I imagine it was more of a 5 vs 5 fight.

Yes, and I expect Steve Winwood gets called little Steve Winwood because he came to prominence at such a young age. When I bump into fully grown adults that I remember playing under-8 football, they're still Little X and Little Y to me. Oh, and I saw Winwood & Clapton performing together at the Albert Hall a few years ago, by the way. Unbelievably brilliant.

And I'm starting to look forward to Charlie's comments on this blog almost as much as Steve's posts. Good work everybody.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

DM - Placing my name in the same sentence as Steve's is high praise indeed and a great way to start another Monday morning in Chicago! Gotta run out the door and battle traffic now for 40 minutes.

And your remark about splitting forces into 5 individuals clearly violates one of the the 10 maxims of warfare as it is quite the opposite of "concentrate your forces for maximum effect."I am guessing you had some military experience?

I will need to listen to the young Steve Winwood's performance you mention. I only know him from the one Blind Faith song and a big solo hit in the mid-80s (Higher Ground?). Probably heard him elsewhere but just don't realize it.

Ant Master said...

Charlie Horse, I have always wondered why military do not use head mounted primary weapons.Surely the unicorns head based weaponry, proved beyond doubt that this was the way to go (assuming of course no load noise or recoil).

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Charlie read comics as a youth but never studied them. It's only a few years ago that I realized inkers make a difference and e.g., that Colletta is not deeply appreciated for thick lines.

So Charlie's self-indulgent question is this. Is the Thor cover and example of thick ink lines e.g., Thor's bicep and forearm? I should assume that Jack's pencil wasn't sharpened and he was drawing extra thick lines?

Please help educate Charlie! THanks Gents!

Killdumpster said...

The Missing Link ruled. I didn't care for Trimpe's interpretation though.

If I recall DD was more then astonished by Cap's speed, agility & strength.

As I've said before, Plantman had so many more possibilities.

Anytime the Masters of Evil showed up, that was always a must read.

dangermash aka The Artistic Actuary said...

I agree with Charlie. That Thor cover doesn’t look like Colletta inking. As for who it was, could be, Romita, Sinnott and Mooney were all around.. I don,t know whether Chic Stone was (I think he left then cane back) but he'd be my best guess if he was.

Anonymous said...


Steve

You instincts on the Avengers cover seem correct. The original artwork is here:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-OFVhPdFtIFI/UVRJi73c72I/AAAAAAAAL0Q/N8XELkPc-K0/s1600/Buscema+Avengers+55.jpg

It looks like the Panther's hear has been pasted over on both the cover and mast heads.

DW

Anonymous said...

Head, not hear.

DW

Steve W. said...

Sadly, I can shed no light on who inked the Thor cover. The Grand Comics Database credits Colletta but I agree that it doesn't scream Colletta at me like his work usually does. The Chic Stone suggestion is interesting. I could see that it might be him.

DW, thanks for that link. Neither of those heads looks very Buscemaesque to me. I wonder if they're by George Tuska or Werner Roth?