Tuesday 14 August 2018

The Marvel Lucky Bag - August 1978.

A mere two days ago, the comments section of this very site was abuzz with talk of whether Marvel's major comics were running out of steam by the late 1970s.

Fortunately, by that point, the company was so huge that we didn't only have to rely on its major titles, because it was now publishing just under fifty books a month.

So, that in mind, let's take a look at what some of the more attention-grabbing of its less high-profile titles were up to and see which, if any, were displaying the sort of vitality that would get us snatching them from the spinner racks.

The Hulk #10

With one mighty bound, The Rampaging Hulk becomes simply The Hulk! compete with exclamation mark!

Sadly, this means that no more will we get to see the machinations of the Krylorians, and a whole new direction will unfurl before us.

Not only do we get the arrival of colour but I do believe the switch means that, from now on, the stories will more closely resemble the formula of the TV show, with the Hulk showing up in random places and assisting random people, via the power of his helpful Hulkiness.

Marvel Comics, the Beatles Story

If there's a storytelling form that's not suited to telling tales about music, it's comics, thanks to their total lack of sound.

Needless to say, that didn't stop Marvel from giving us its take on the Beatles' career, as drawn by George Perez.

This is a comic I'd genuinely love to have read, if only to see how it dealt with the Yoko era, which we all secretly know may be infuriating but is easily the most fascinating of the Fab Four's career.

Marvel Premiere #43, Paladin

I don't know if Paladin was popular in his appearances in Daredevil but Marvel clearly thought he had potential, because it gave him an issue of Marvel Premiere to fool around in.

Looking at the cover, I am getting a strong Punisher vibe.

What If Jane Foster Had Found the Hammer of Thor?

This is it! Surely this month's most celebrated tale, as we get the debut of Thordis!

I have read this tale but it was so long ago that I can't recall how it ends.

But this is What If, so I'm assuming she dies at the climax because every issue of What If I've ever read seems to have had an unhappy ending and the implication that we're lucky that things turned out the way they did in the real Marvel Universe because it would all have gone badly if they hadn't.

Then again, I could be misremembering and they could all have had happy endings.

Marvel Classics Comics #34, Robin Hood

There's long been a battle between Sheffield and Nottingham over ownership of Britain's most popular ever criminal. Was he from Loxley in Sheffield? Was he from Nottingham in Nottingham? Was he from both? Was he from somewhere else?

Frankly, we'll probably never know because he probably never existed. However, Robin Hood is so epic that even not existing doesn't stop him getting his own Marvel Comics adaptation.

I would assume this is another comic with a less than happy outcome for the protagonist.

Man From Atlantis #7

Speaking of doomed protagonists, this is the last ever issue of Marvel's Man From Atlantis. I don't remember if the TV show was a commercial success but the comic clearly wasn't, folding after just seven issues.

Still, at least he got a nice dramatic cover for his final appearance. You do have to suspect that the impossibility for Marvel to connect him to their wider universe - like they did with Conan, the Micronauts and others - can't have helped his cause.

Then again, maybe people just didn't like the TV show.

Invaders #31, Frankenstein's Monster

The Invaders tangle with Frankenstein's Monster in a tale drawn by Chic Stone. I'm not sure if I've ever read a comic pencilled by Chic Stone. I'm more used to him as an inker.

But is this the same Frankenstein's Monster as the one who had his own Marvel strip in the 1970s? Is it the robot one who showed up in that 1960s Silver Age issue of The X-Men? Is it a totally different Frankenstein's Monster? And just how many Frankenstein's Monsters are there in the Marvel Universe?

13 comments:

dangermash aka The Artistic Actuary said...

I had to check out that Frankenstein monster in the Marvel app. Sounds like he's a different Frankenstein to those you mentioned - in fact he's Frankenstein's Monster (Nazi Version).

More to the point, though, there's a comic panel in there in which he bears a strong resemblance to Blakey from On The Buses.

Well played Chic Stone!

Steve W. said...

Well, Blakey did always have that Hitler vibe going on, so I suppose it's appropriate.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Steve, et al!

Hey -

Let's hear it for Jane Foster sporting the famous Madonna brazier?

Hey -

Let's hear it for Robin Hood. I think I've written before, in this hallowed blog, how I really, really dig that venerable UK Robin Hood series from late 50s starring Richard Greene. There's like 150 episodes or so (OK maybe I exagerrate) but I know I have like 15 DVDs for the seasons. Was Richard Greene ever famous besides Robin Hood?

Hey -

Opening up that Invaders can of worms??? I think I have that issue in the long box... Good grief, why the hell didn't Marvel just have Chick draw the series instead of F**** R******??? (But then, look at all the material for blogs FR provided?)

TC said...

The Man From Atlantis TV series was cancelled after only 13 episodes, so evidently it was not all that popular in the first place.

My guess is that there were a lot of outlaws and bandits running around England (including both Nottingham and Sheffield) in the Middle Ages, and some of them may have been named Robin or Robert. The legendary hero could be based on any of them, or a composite of several (or all) of them.

FWIW, I don't remember Richard Greene from anything besides Robin Hood. The Marvel Comics version appears to be based on Errol Flynn.

Steve W. said...

Charlie and TC, I've just checked and, apparently, Richard Greene's other claim to immortality was playing Nayland SMith in the Fu Manchu movies.

For some reason, I always had it in my head that he was the original music publisher of the Beatles' songs but it turns out that was Dick James. How I got Richard Greene and Dick James mixed up, I have no idea.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Ahh... the Beatles. In my home town of Gary Indiana (no longer the murder capital of the USA!) a lcoal lady and her husband (she did have a radio show in the 50s /60s) were the first in the USA to sign the Beatles. VJ Records. Vivian Carter was her name and her show "Livin with Vivian" was locally famous.

That was 1963. WIthin months once the Beatles exploded, big money pushed them out of the way.

However, I did buy a new VJ record of Beatles in the late 70s and it had their old songs like "Anna, Taste of Honey, etc." on them.

TC said...

I get Richard Greene mixed up with Richard Todd, who played Robin Hood in a 1952 Disney movie.

I had forgotten about those five 1960s movies with Christopher Lee as Fu Manchu. Richard Greene played Nayland Smith in the last three. Nigel Green played Smith in the first one. Somehow, though, I don't get Nigel Green mixed up with Richard Greene.

Killdumpster said...

Steve-

Jane Foster marries Odin at the end of the What If story.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Hey UK Gents - I saw an advert on which cable station I do not know (or even Netflix?) but this lady who was in the Broadchurch series looks like she is your new Doctor Who? My wife and I also think we spotted here on an older episode of Midsomer Murders that we are now watching on Netflix.

Who is she?

Is she a "big deal" in the UK?

I confess I do not even really follow USA Hollywood stuff anymore so if you don't follow UK stuff, I get it, LOL!

Steve W. said...

Killdumpster, hold on. What? After all those years of barring Thor from carrying on with her, he decided to marry her himself? And I thought Odin couldn't sink any lower in my estimation of him.

Charlie, She's Jodie Whittaker. I wouldn't say she's a particularly big star but she's been in plenty of things, is very credible and Broadchurch is a very high-profile show.

Killdumpster said...

Yeah, you said it.

Jane/Thordis went to Asgard and freaked out the Asgardians. Odin transferred the power of Thor to Don Blake. Sif ran into his arms, and Jane was sad. That's when Odin made his move. So scummy, but actually a good story.

I used to love What If.

Killdumpster said...

And you're right, Steve.

More often than not What If had downbeat endings

Anonymous said...

What if Jane Foster had become the Mighty Thor?...
...wonder no longer because nowadays Jane Foster IS the mighty Thor (well, she was Thor the last time I looked but things move fast at Marvel).

By a bizarre coincidence I just left a comment on The Peerless Power Of Comics about Robin Hood and now he pops up on Steve Does Comics!