Sunday 19 August 2018

2000 AD - July 1980.

Do you know what you were up to in July of 1980?

I do.

I was watching the Moscow Olympics.

Granted, not everyone in the world was doing likewise, as the games managed the feat of being boycotted by 65 countries - a serious achievement, even by Olympic standards.

Still, that meant there were more medals to go round for the rest of us, and the people of Britain got to cheer as the likes of Daley Thompson and Alan Wells claimed gold.

Top of the bill for the Brits, though, were the two epic clashes between Seb Coe and Steve Ovett to decide who was the world's best middle-distance runner.

Needless to say, we got no answer to that question, as they each proceeded to win the wrong event.

I could claim that such excitement was being matched by the contents of the galaxy's greatest comic but, in all honesty, I can't describe what was happening in it, in any more than the fuzziest of ways.

I do, however, know that that month's issues were giving us Nemesis the Warlock, the Stainless Steel Rat, Wolfie Smith and Robo Hunter, while Judge Dredd was still on the lookout for the Judge Child. It never struck me at the time just how long his story arcs used to go on for.

From Prog 168 onwards, the comic was also giving us The VCs, a strip I have no memory of, not even when I Google images from it. I had been assuming it was some sort of spin-off of Ro-Busters but it, instead, seems to have been an Outer Space war series.

Apparently, the enemies in it were referred to as, "The Geeks," which does ring a bell. I'm wondering if the whole thing had a Starship Troopers vibe to it. I could imagine that a 2000 AD Outer Space war strip would possess such a thing.

2000 AD Prog 167

2000 AD Prog 168, Judge Dredd

2000 AD Prog 169, Judge Dredd

2000 AD Prog 170, Judge Dredd

18 comments:

B Smith said...

That "Terror Tube" strip featured a cameo by Kenny Everett, if memory serves.

Steve W. said...

That does vaguely ring a bell.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Steve surely you will weigh in at BitBA today? It’s right up your alley!!!

Steve W. said...

I am proud to announce that I have just made my contribution.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Steve it was a most awesome contribution! All you other Beatles bofins get over there! Now! Ps I am not sure what a bidding is but Hawksbee and Jacobs used it about 20 times this morning (13:00 U.K. Time) and From the context I am assuming it means like genius or scientist or generally a smart person???

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Bofin not bidding! Dam autocorrect

Steve W. said...

A boffin is a scientist. I don't think anyone outside of tabloid journalism has used the word since about 1945.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Hence forth I will try to use on your blog whenever possible!!!

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Steve please review my latest posting at BitBA to assuage my fears I have not used the B word correctly?!

Steve W. said...

Basically, if a subject involves science or technology, the word, "boffin," is appropriate. If it doesn't, it probably isn't.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

So Beatles and boffin doesn't work?

I guess I see how H &J and Talk Sport use qualifies b.c. they were discussing Nottingham's decision to paint the visitor's dressing room pink to lower the team's testosterone levels before the game.

Steve W. said...

I remember, about thirty years ago, reading about a sports stadium that had pink holding cells for arrested spectators, in order to calm them down.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Are folks in Nottingham particularly clever like that? They had Robin Hood but the sheriff didn’t seem as bright as robin!

Steve W. said...

As far as I'm aware, the intelligence of people from Nottingham is well within normal parameters.

Anonymous said...

Steve, I'm afraid Charlie is mistaken and its actually Norwich that painted their dressing room pink. All the same though, having spent a couple of weeks in Nottingham last month I would question those parameters of yours ...

Btw, thats an exceptional run of covers on those progs - three in a row by the mighty Mike McMahon, including a wraparound (the whole thing in all its glory was recently posted at
www.greatnewsforallreaders.com/blog/2018/7/8/on-this-day-19-july-1980-2000ad-and-tornado-prog-169 ) Those were the days, eh?

-sean

Steve W. said...

Thanks for the Norwich correction, Sean - and the 2000 AD cover image. They certainly were great covers. I especially like the last one of that month, mostly because I don't have a clue what's going on in it.

Anonymous said...

Steve, as I recall that last cover features Dredd up against Murd the Oppressor, the Necromancer of Necros and Keeper of the Sacred Toad, in an effort to obtain the alien drug Spice and use it to locate the Judge Child.
At the time it all seemed very otherworldly, but of course these days its easy enough to get Spice on any street corner. Erm, so I hear...

-sean

Steve W. said...

Keeper of the Sacred Toad is certainly a prestigious title to have.