Thursday 2 July 2020

July 2nd, 1980 - Marvel UK, 40 years ago this week.

Thanks to Charlie Horse 47 and Killdumpster for their sponsorship of this post, via the magic of Patreon.
***

This night in 1980 was a huge evening for one particular Scotswoman.

That woman was Sheena Easton.

And that's because it was the night BBC One broadcast an edition of their show The Big Time, a series which set out to help members of the public achieve their ambitions.

19-year-old student Sheena Easton had contacted the show, asking them to make her into a pop star.

So they did. Next thing she knew, it was, "Next stop: James Bond and Prince."

Who would have thought it was so easy to become an international singing sensation?

But, of course, to really rule the roost, she was going to have to see-off Don McLean and the Rolling Stones.

That's because the first of those two acts was still topping the UK singles chart with his smash hit Crying, while the latter now ruled the British LP chart with their latest platter that mattered Emotional Rescue

The Rolling Stones were so old they could still recall pre-decimal money.

But, then again, we all could because, unbelievably, even though Britain had gone decimal in 1971, it wasn't until this week in 1980 that the sixpence coin was finally withdrawn from circulation. At last, people could buy things without ever again having to worry about multiplying by six.

Doctor Who Weekly #38

The Fourth Doctor's still battling the Time Witch, and Sharon discovers she's no longer a teenager.

We get a five-page article dedicated to some of the Doctor's non-monstrous foes, including, by the looks of it, the Master and that annoying pirate with the robot parrot.

In their own strip, the Daleks are still causing trouble for the Soliturians.

And, finally, the Cybermen are still in lumber on Planet Goth, requiring, it seems, the Cyber-leader to blow himself up!
Marvel Superheroes #363

The Avengers are trying to prevent a nuclear holocaust in a tale I can't quite remember properly, despite having read it not that long ago.

Elsewhere, Cyclops is trying to clear his name of murder - by tracking down the man he's accused of having killed!

The Champions are up against the peril of Rampage. And I don't mean the magazine.

Spider-Man and the Hulk Weekly #382

The Trapster's successfully invading the Baxter Building by pretending to be Spider-Man.

And it looks like the Hulk's still up against the Gardener.

Just what's occurring in the strips belonging to the She-Hulk and Spider-Woman, I could not say.


Star Heroes pocket book #4, the Micronauts

The Micronauts and Battlestar Galactica are in this book.

That is all I can say.

Chiller pocket book #5, Dracula

I can say a lot more about this issue, though.

In a Ghost Rider tale drawn by George Tuska, Johnny Blaze is heading into Mexico for an adventure that has its roots, several years earlier, in an exploding dolphin. 

Dracula's in Greenwich - the New York one, not the London one - and, stripped of his vampirism by Satan, has taken to mugging people to survive.

This is a sequence of events which soon attracts the attention of his daughter Lilith.

And, in our second Ghost Rider tale of the issue, the demented pencil of Frank Robbins gives us a team-up between Johnny and the Son of Satan.

Spider-Man pocket book #4, Xandu and Dr Strange

My Sherlock Holmes-like powers of deduction tell me Spidey and Dr Strange are combining their powers to tackle the menace of Xandu.

But we also get a reprint of the legendary team-up between Shang-Chi and Spider-Man, as Fu Manchu flings his blanket of crime over New York City.



Fantastic Four #4, Galactus

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess this book reprints the epic Galactus Trilogy.

This means we get two pocket books this month whose covers feature villains' disembodied heads and hands as they menace heroes.

Savage Sword of Conan #33

I've little idea what occurs in the Conan tale but I do know that, in the back-up strip, Frank Thorne's Red Sonja takes on a bear god.

Forces in Combat #8

The Howling Commandos are still rescuing an English scientist from the Germans. You can tell he's English because he talks like Dick Van Dyke.

I've suddenly remembered why I hated reading Howling Commando stories.

My knowledge of the other strips, this week, is zero.

Starburst #23, Boba Fett

As you'd expect, we get yet more about George Lucas' latest epic.

But we also get a look at the new, "Improved," Flash Gordon.

I think I've said this before but that's a film that's a lot more fun to remember than it is to actually watch.

Always enjoyable to watch is Ray Harryhausen's Mysterious Island, and we get an acknowledgement of that, with a look at that very film.

Frantic #5

Frantic.

It still exists.

Empire Strikes Back Weekly #123

And Luke Skywalker still exists!

And he's still fighting giant metal camels on Hoth!

Seriously, Marvel has managed to make the first ten minutes of this film last for about two months.

Elsewhere, Man-Wolf's still having adventures in Outer Space.

The strip A Martian Odyssey has been renamed Monsters of the Cosmos and features a man stuck on Mars, with an overgrown space chicken.

Meanwhile, this issue's tale of the Watcher involves a world about to be destroyed by a rogue planet, with not enough room on its only spaceship for everyone to fit on board. 

Fortunately, the tale's hero works out a way to shrink the entire population, so they can all get in it and escape.

Hold on a minute, that's the plot of an old Fantastic Four story!

But this one is reprinted from a 1959 issue of Journey into Mystery. 

I will never again trust Stan Lee to be original.

Rampage Monthly #25, the Hulk

It would appear the Hulk escapes from a desert island.

But islands are nothing. The X-Men find themselves on another planet and having to fight a thinly-disguised Legion of Super-Heroes, with the fate of the universe at stake!

It seems we also get the origin of Luke Cage, presumably meaning Dr Strange has lost his place in the mag.

I blame Xandu.

36 comments:

Anonymous said...

After decimalisation the sixpence was actually worth 2 and a 1/2p Steve, so no-one using them needed to count in sixes for most of the 70s.
Its not really unbelievable they were around so long when you consider that the two bob bit and shilling - the old 10p and 5p coins - weren't taken out of circulation til the early 90s.

Thats some highly original imagery there on the cover of this month's Savage Sword of Conan.
Where does he find all these scantily clad wenches that cling to his leg regularly?

-sean

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Sean - I must say that the Conan caught my eye this time around... for a couple reasons.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Steve - It is widely recognized throughout the free world that the Battle on Hoth for Echo Base is the greatest Star Wars' scene. So, if Marvel Comics milked it for months, years it's understandable.

I just wish Lucas could have worked in some snow men, dressed like Frosty the Snowman and shooting laser beams out of their eyes, into the battle scene!

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Is that a Covid Virus Ball on the Marvel Superheroes cover? How prescient!

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Hi Steve, UK CHaps!

Just curious if Sheena E was as popular there as here?

She had a huuuge hit here called "My Sugar Walls" in the early 80s. Was it a big hit there too?

I was always surprised she'd sing a song about making ginger-bread houses and that it'd be a huuuge hit!

Charlie Horse 47 said...

I man, honestly, a song about Ginger Bread Houses with icing on them. Who'd a thunk it!

Killdumpster said...

The American book, with Spidey/Shang-Chi, Giant-Size Spider-Man #2 I believe, was one of my favorite books that summer.

Ross could really draw kung-fu action.

Never picked up alot of Shang-Chi's books, so I'm unsure if Andru ever did it.

Killdumpster said...

The 1960's Fantastic Four cartoon was the first time I was exposed to the Galactus Trilogy.

Amazingly Hanna-Barbera managed to put the whole thing in a 1/2 episode. To be honest, they didn't do that bad of a job.

I didn't get the whole fleshed-out story till it was reprinted in Marvel's Greatest Comics.

That was when they printed them in regular sized issues, instead of annual-size. Guess I was lucky the title was bi-monthly, or I probably wouldn't get the whole trilogy.

Killdumpster said...

Meant 1/2 "hour" episode.

Am curious how Fantastic Four follower feels about that episode, or the cartoon in general.

You UK folks did get that, right?

My buzz-saw brain can't remember if that was ever up for discussion.

Killdumpster said...

Hokey Smokes, Mild Sexual Inuendo-winkle!

I can't do it, Charlie.

After all these years, everyone knows by now that Sheena wasn't singing about sugar cookies, lol!

Charlie Horse 47 said...

FFF Man, et al! - What issue is referred to above where Trapster impersonates SPidey to invade the Baxter Building? I mean, how does a panty waist like Trapster portend to take on the FF?

I mean, least he could of done is get himself a cosmic cube first, and switch places with Thing? I mean, that idea worked beautifully for Skull and Cap America. I can just imagine Thing / Ben Grimm, in Trapster's body, sent to a Caribbean Island, getting whu
pped by Bellini and his winter scarf, lol.

Steve W. said...

Sean, knowing a sixpence piece was actually worth two and a half pence would have left me even more confused than thinking it was worth six.

Charlie, the Trapster's cunning attack on the Baxter Building occurred in Spectacular Spider-Man #42 and Fantastic Four #218.

Sheena Easton had a few large hits in Britain but I'm not sure she was ever what could be called popular. I know she was hated in her native Scotland because she quickly dropped her real accent and started speaking with an American one. Her singles generally charted higher in America than they did in Britain. In the UK, Sugar Walls peaked at Number 95.

KD, As far as I'm aware, the Yorkshire TV region never showed the Fantastic Four cartoon. I do know the neighbouring Granada TV region got it but I was never in that region when it was being shown and, therefore, never saw it.

I don't remember Ross Andru ever drawing Shang-Chi outside of that issue. I agree, it is a great story.

Anonymous said...

Steve, Yorkshire TV did show the 1960s Fantastic Four cartoon. I can't remember the year, except that it was between late 1977 and 1981 (my Marvel era!) The Fantastic Four cartoon's interpretation of the first Galactus story was surprisingly good.

Phillip Beadham

Colin Jones said...

Sheena Easton's "Nine To Five" was re-named "Morning Train" for its' American release so it didn't get confused with Dolly Parton's "Nine To Five". I doubt American listeners would have been confused but the newly named "Morning Train" went to #1 on the Billboard Hot 100.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Steve - please forgive my complete ignorance...

Granada TV - is that like Granada the Caribbean Island?

It sounds stupid but I can't tell if you mean that, or something that is "Granada" in the UK?

That said, it shows we do read your comments!

Colin - Sheena has a nice little cache of hits here. She did a Bond movie too. But I still can't remember dancing to "Sugar Walls" though it was a hit and I definitely remember the song. It's one of those songs that "once you hear it you can't un-remember it."

Indeed it's like Sean tipping me of to Plastic Bertrand or Steve / KD to Bonie M or Japanese Boy. Once you see it... you can't unsee it!

Anonymous said...

Steve, its interesting that you should regard Sheena Easton's Scottish accent as her "real" one, whereas from the perspective of someone who lives in a country other than the one he was born in, I would say accents are changeable.

According to the wiki, Easton is a dual national who got her US citizenship in '92, so it seems quite natural to me that she should have a Transatlantic accent.
It doesn't necessarily mean she's trying to deny her Scottishness or whatever, just that immigrants have to adapt to their new environment. How else are we going to steal your jobs and benefits?

-sean

Anonymous said...

Charlie, you're thinking of Grenada. Granada is in Spain.

-sean

Killdumpster said...

Sheena Easton was indeed "a nice little cache."

Steve W. said...

Charlie, Granada TV is the main commercial broadcaster in the Lancashire/Manchester/Liverpool region. It was named after its parent company which was named after the region of Spain.

Sean, personally, I don't really care what accent Sheena has but I know it's a matter of severe aggravation to some Scots. Hence her having had bottles thrown at her, in 1990, when she performed in Glasgow and unveiled her brand new accent.

Phillip, thanks for the info about the FF cartoon. I must admit I totally failed to notice it being broadcast.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Grenada Granada... Potato Patato...

Just kidding.

Thanks!

I should have know better having visited the Al Hambra, etc. in Granada!Lovely city!

Anonymous said...

Fair enough Steve, I'm not too concerned about how Sheena Easton speaks either (and she seems to have done pretty well for herself, whatever a Glasgow audience thinks).

On the subject of national identity in the UK, have you heard about this new British superhero team from Marvel Comics?
Theres a Scottish superhero, a Welsh one, an English one and a north Irish one - I know, it sounds like the start of a bad joke doesn't it? - and they're called The Union. Seriously.

The Independent ran a short piece about the reaction when it was announced, which was pretty funny -
www.indy100.com/article/marvel-comics-british-superheroes-union-jack-brexit-twitter-response-9351201

Curious as to what people here think. Just in theory, as of course the first issue isn't out yet.
Its been delayed. No Brexit jokes please (;

-sean

Anonymous said...

...and they all walk into a bar, and three hours later the town was rubble. People were being evacuated.
They don't even NEED a supervillain. The story practically writes itself.

M.P.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Well Sean, I read the article. I dare say they managed to find some inflammatory tweets to say the least.

Is there really that much disharmony among the 4 nations: England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland? I really don't now so that's why I'm asking. I know there are independence movements but that doesn't mean y'all hate each other, does it?

I mean, if Mississippi wanted to secede again I, and probably the other 49 States, would be more than happy to let it go, though I don't hardly know anyone from there that I hate.

I see Union Jack but what happened to Spitfire? (Was Spitfire UJ's daughter?)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Charlie, we got enough disharmony in the U.S. for any country.
But maybe things might get better as a result. At least they're finally pulling those ridiculous statues down. Good riddance.

M.P.

Steve W. said...

"The Choir from Wales." Good grief.

Dougie said...

I thought The Union was meant to be satirical. I might read it although I'm no fan of the political/economic union, especially the Johnson kleptocracy.
I left the Big Day in 1990, just before the bottling of Sheena as I recall. I know people in Glasgow have the reverse problem with Lulu, when she drops into her Dennistoun accent. Same with John Barrowman. To me, it's about class and suppression of language, more than accent but Glasgow is very quick to mock pretension.
Speaking of Glasgow, that issue of Starburst was one of my occasional purchases. Deathwatch is set in the near future but shows rotting wharves on the Clyde, antique streetlights and a very young Robbie Coltrane.

Dougie said...

Charlie, I don't think the majority of Scottish and Welsh people hate England but it's natural for countries to be independent. I think independence would benefit all the members of the Union.

Dougie said...

The Sixties FF cartoon was eventually shown in the STV region as part of Glen Michael's Cavalcade from January 1980 on Sunday afternoons. I don't think we ever got the "Herbie the Robot series" but the 90s version "Fantastic Four- don't need no more" was shown on Saturday mornings on BBC1 in 1996.

Anonymous said...

The Choir from Wales isn't exactly promising, is it Steve? At least the north Irish one isn't called Orangeman.
Seems unfair to criticize a comic without at least reading an issue or two first though (Paul Grist seems fairly well regarded, and the seeming stereotypes may be the point).

Charlie, I think these days Union Jack is a different fella to the one from the Invaders.
I don't know about people hating each other in the UK - any more than usual - but Brexit certainly does seem to have caused a breakdown in the political system.
Otherwise, why would the Brits be having an election every two years, or have the worst coronavirus figures in Europe?

-sean

Anonymous said...

I always thought Union Jack was pretty cool. He made his debut in the Invaders as a retired "superhero" from W.W. 1. Roy Thomas, who was a nut about Golden Age heroes, went and invented one from scratch.
I think he was really more of a government agent than a superhero. Maybe like those S.A.S. dudes who go out and wreak focused havoc on the enemy.
Full mask and a side-arm. Pretty tough look to him. And his brother was a vampire.
The new incarnation, who I just googled, has a military-style utility belt that might even impress Batman. Lord knows what all is on there. Loads of ammo, maybe first-aid kit, big-ass knife, plastic explosives, spooled cord (for climbin' and stranglin'), probably a rubber and an extra candy bar.

M.P.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

During WW 2, Spitfire is drained of blood by her Uncle Baron Blood. She is saved by a transfusion from Human Torch. Does this mean she is related to the Vision or whoever was descended from Torch?

Any ideas what Roy the Boy was up to by having her transfused from Torch?

Anonymous said...

Well..., wasn't the Torch an android? Is that the same thing as a robot?
Frankly, I'm not sure about any of this. I know a cyborg is part human, but...
So the Torch HAD blood? Maybe an android is something that imitates the functions of a human, blood, organs etc., but it ain't. It's blood might be something like Castrol motor oil.

Charlie, I don't think anybody understands what was going on in Roy Thomas' brain.
He did write some good stories, I'll give him that.

M.P.

Anonymous said...

M.P., your mentioning a vampire reminds me that Blade is one of Marvel's British characters (maybe Wesley Snipes couldn't do the accent).

Funny how they could come up with a black character from London who doesn't seem like a walking national stereotype back in the 70s, yet in 2020 their British superhero team seems like it might be entirely white.
I suppose we'll have to wait for the comic to find out about the one who's covered up and wearing the hood...

-sean

Anonymous said...

Sean, I had absolutely no idea that Blade was British, but I looked him up on Wikipedia, and yeah, he was born in London. I didn't know that. I just assumed he was American.
I'm a little curious as to why they wrote him as an Englishman. I always assumed he came from some inner-city hellhole over here.

M.P.

Anonymous said...

Tomb of Dracula was set in England early on M.P., so I expect plot convenience might have been the main reason Blade was from London.
But thats just a guess, and could be unfair - I seem to recall Rachel Van Helsing hanging around with a south Asian geezer, so maybe Wolfman and/or Colan did know a bit more about the UK than most Marvel creators seemed to back then.

-sean

Charlie Horse 47 said...

M.P. I've not really studied up much on Androids, but somehow Roy the Boy did lob a lot of interesting possibilities out there connecting the original Human Android Torch to Spitfire to Vision to Ultron to... I really haven't a clue who /what else in the Marvel World.

Did Vision and Wanda have kids? I don't know one way or the other, LOL, but if Gary Newman says we can have electric friends, then why not electric kids?