Sunday 26 July 2020

Manhunter: Cobras of the Deep - Detective Comics #440.

Thanks to Charlie Horse 47 and Killdumpster for their sponsorship of this post, via the magic of Patreon.
***

Manhunter, Cobras of the Deep, Detective Comics #440
Thanks to the wonders of DC Comics' 100-page publications, we lovers of 1970s derring-do were treated to the exploits of the New Manhunter.

Which was all well and good - except most of us had never even heard of the old Manhunter.

Fortunately, Detective Comics #440 put that right, as it gave us the wartime Simon and Kirby classic Cobras of the Deep in which big-game hunter, turned battler of Nazism, Paul Kirk strikes yet another blow to Hitler's ambitions to create a Reich that will last a thousand years, by making sure it only lasts for twelve.

Determined to win the war, a German submarine captain concocts a plan to rid the Axis powers forever of the threat from their deadly nemesis Manhunter.

Detective Comics #440, Manhunter fights the Nazis
His plan is simple, invite our hero to a place and then blow him up by shooting the mountain of dynamite he's inadvertently standing on.

Unfortunately, the Nazi ne'er-do-well hasn't taken into account Kirk's ability to leap out of the way when things explode and, so, within mere panels, he's out to hunt-down his would-be assassins.

Detective Comics #440, Manhunter in the sea
Donning a diving helmet they've left behind, he soon follows their trail to the bottom of the sea, where he's captured, before sabotaging their sub and bringing its crew to justice.

In truth, at nine pages, it's not a long tale. No longer, in fact, than an adventure from the new Manhunter. But it rolls along quickly and efficiently and still has a little time to take in the scenery. I especially like Kirk's one-panel meeting with a huge but passive octopus.

Detective Comics #440, Manhunter in a net
We get no real sense of who Paul Kirk is or what he's about, as he gets just three panels before changing into costume.

It's basically a typical piece of wartime comic book propaganda with incompetent Nazis who talk funny and a brave American dealing justice to them, thanks to his greater ingenuity and refusal to give up.

I was struck, however, by the tendency of the Nazi sailors to wear their uniforms while walking around on American soil and committing their clandestine acts. Frankly, from that, I'm not convinced they're the sharpest knives in Hitler's drawer.

Overall, it's a painless enough read but there's nothing at all in it that would have given anyone reason to think such a standard-issue adventurer had the potential to be revived as one of the most intriguing characters in comics.

Detective Comics #440, Manhunter, the game is not over


STOP PRESS! 
Because Charlie47 demanded it, here's the panel which shows Manhunter's deathless encounter with an octopus.

Detective Comics #440, Manhunter chats with an octopus

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay - its Detective Comics #440 again.

That was a pretty short review Steve, but fair play - what else can you say about an old 40s superhero story? It is what it is.
You could maybe make a few observations about Jack Kirby, about how astonishing it is that later in life the same geezer worked on those mid-to-late 60s FFs and Thors, and the Fourth World. But I suppose thats a whole subject in itself, outside the scope of your single reviews.

Fwiw, it seems to me that the Goodwin/Simonson Manhunter could easily have been its own thing, but thats how comic publishers seem to work (anticipating 21st century popular culture generally) - why let the creatives try something new when you can tie it to an old IP?

-sean

Killdumpster said...

Lordy, I gotta get this book. If only my buzzsaw brain will let me remember...

Anonymous said...

Steve, I've always enjoyed these occasional posts featuring a close look on a single issue of a comic.
Even in early stuff, you can see the early stages of what I would call his talent for conveying kinetic energy, mass and force. I know that description sounds like it was made by somebody who's trying to sound a lot smarter than they are, and that is indeed the case. I know practically zip about art, but I knows what I likes. His stuff has always grabbed me.
This comic would have had to be drawn before Kirby went to war. I think I remember a quote from him saying something like "they a gave me a rifle and a candy bar and told me to go kill Hitler."
I strongly doubt the Germans knew who Captain America was and who created him in 1944, but if young Jacob Kurztberg had been captured during the Battle of the Bulge I don't think he would have volunteered that information!

M.P.

Anonymous said...

If you're interested M.P., theres an amazing clip of Kirby talking about the war at
www.youtube.com/watch?v=866ToIkLksA

-sean

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Steve - I truly appreciate your review! More! More! More! Please review more of those DC 100 pagers and the GA innards!

Sean! There you go, you rascal! Here I thought I understood "fair play" and as I read your sentence I just don't get it! LOL! Please - translate fair play for me again!

MP - Don't sell yourself short my fellow vet! You sound way more smarter than I am sure you are so you should be holding your head high! (Just kidding... lol)

I think "man hunter" is just a cool name? Or perhaps DC wanted to save the copyright? But was the reincarnation in the 70s ever tied back to the original?

Anonymous said...

Steve, that link didn't work for me, but I went to YouTube and typed in "Jack Kirby talks about the war" and I think I found what you're referring to.
Holy moly. It was fascinating to me, and surprising. Kirby describes defending against a German infantry assault as being like standing on the road in front of a Mack truck.
I think this would be of interest to anybody curious about the war or Kirby.
I wouldn't have found it if not for your link, Sean, so thanks.

M.P.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the link M.P. but yeah, thats the one.
Its really packed with vivid anecdotes...

-sean

Anonymous said...

I wrote "Steve" and I meant "Sean".
But Sean, you know I was addressing you.
The evidence for my possible future senility is mounting by the day...

M.P.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Steve - any chance you can post the panel where he meets the octopus? Charlie has a fetish for creatures with 8 limbs and it would make his day!

Steve W. said...

Charlie, I've now added that panel at the bottom of the post. As you can see, it's not the tensest encounter any man has ever had with an octopoid.

All along, it was made clear that the 1970s Manhunter was the same character as the 1940s one who had somehow been revived.

I believe Sean was using the term, "Fair play," to mean, "In all fairness."

Thanks, MP and Sean.

KD, it is certainly one of the fondest remembered comics of my childhood.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Steve - On behalf of Charlie and the Boys in the Band, I want to thank you for the picture of the octopus. Charlie advised he is only 1/8 as satisfied, as compared to if you posted a photo with all 8 legs.


For me, I have trouble with the term Fair Play as used above b/c, I finally realized, it does not start with a preposition. Hence the confusion!

Charlie had to learn all the prepositions of English in the 7th grade and still remembers the "A's" They are: Aboard, above, about, across, after, against, along, among, around, and at.

Anonymous said...

The only time I recall hearing or reading the term "fair play" is when when I was reading a comic with Mr. Terrific in it. He had that on his sleeves.
I don't think term gets much in the U.S. anymore. We were always lousy, but at least we used to give lip service to the idea of fairness. It seems quaint now.
Mr. Terrific, to me, is a character with such a goofy premise that's he's actually kinda cool, in a weird way, like Flex Mentallo. Of course with Flex, the irony was intentional.
On reflection, I wish I had thought to use "Mr. Terrific" as my internet handle instead of "M.P." which is are my initials and is pretty blase'. Or maybe "Max Power."
Too late now. Ah well. Less typing, I guess.

M.P.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

MP - I thought Mr. Terrific had "fair play" on his belt buckle or chest? That said, i haven't been reading my 100-page giants of late with JSA reprints from the Golden Age so my brain may be mistaken. But I haven't been boozing so... fair play!

Anonymous said...

You're right, Charlie. I was thinking of the new Mr. Terrific, who sports a cool leather jacket with "fair play' on the sleeves.
He's actually a pretty cool character. He's a super genius and he's got these floating metal balls that spin around and, uh, do stuff, like shoot lasers. Wasn't there a horror movie where this guy had a floating metal ball that killed people?
Boy, the older I get, the more I garble stuff. I feel constantly distracted.

M.P.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

The movie with the floating death balls... i do recall it b/c I had a friend who was a moron for scary movies.

We HAD to see it b/c it was billed as being so scary that "if you weren't scared you were already dead!" We saw it at the drive in in Gary, IN. witha couple other guys. May have accidentally driven away with the speaker still in my window but they had break-away cables by then, lol.

IIRC "Nightmare on Elm Street" may have been part of the double feature?

MP - I garble stuff and forget stuff too... that's why I have Charlie to help me these days.

Anonymous said...

Great post! I am a little confusitated, tho'-so these nasty Ratzis U-boaters try to blow up Manhunter on land and then leave a freakin' dive helmet behind? Hope they can hold their breath for a loooong time....


BTW, the flicks where a tall, spectral looking dude kills people with a flying silver ball with attached knives was the "Phantasm" series.

Steve W. said...

Hi, Anon, after the attempt to blow him up, Manhunter captured two of the Nazis and handed them over to the authorities before they could return to their sub. Hence, their diving helmets were lying around, abandoned.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Steve - any chance you saw the "Kyle" from the British Eating League set the world's record for eating beans and toast on 7/27?

20 pieces of toast and 2.5 kg (about 5 pound) of beans. Link below!

According to the interview on Talk SPort, he said the train ride home was "explosive" and he ended up with the car all to himself!


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRt4xNqdZk4

Steve W. said...

I must admit I'd totally missed all news of Kyle's great achievement. I'm sure his mother is very proud of him.

Anonymous said...

Now thats how to do social distancing!
Perhaps government advice should recommend starting the day with a very large bowl of baked beans as a means of reducing the level of coronavirus.

Plus, build some more wind turbines and the energy production problem could be solved with no need for Chinese nuclear power.

-sean

Killdumpster said...

The Phantasm films with the floating killer spheres are a high recommend.

I met Don Coscarelli, the director, & Reggie Bannister, the star.

They both autographed baseballs for me.
Coscarelli drew little blades on the sides on the one he signed.

Killdumpster said...

I don't think it would be a good idea to be down-wind of Kyle.