Tuesday 14 July 2020

The Marvel Lucky Bag - July 1980.

Thanks to Charlie Horse 47 and Killdumpster for their sponsorship of this post, via the magic of Patreon.
***

If I were to say the words, "Don't call me Shirley," you'd know exactly what I was referring to.

That's right. I'd be referencing the alarming tendency for people to mix me up with James Bond theme singing legend Dame Shirley Bassey.

But there'd be something else.

And that's the movie Airplane.

And how apt, because this month sees the fortieth anniversary of the release of the movie that transformed Leslie Nielsen, from the man who played criminal henchmen, into a comedy legend. 

But it wasn't the only memorable film out that month because July 1980 also saw releases for Alligator, Caddyshack and Dressed to Kill.

I could be wrong but, famous though they are, I do believe I've never seen any of that trio.

I do, however, suspect Alligator is the one from which I'd gain most pleasure.

Howard the Duck #6

I don't have a clue what's going on on that cover by John Pound but it seems that, inside, the feathery fighter returns to his homeworld where it turns out he's viewed as a messiah. I can only put this down to his victory over the Circus of Crime.

We also get his origin.

Whether Howard's origin and his being viewed as a messiah are connected, I could not say.

Marvel Super-Special Magazine #17, Xanadu

Here it is - as mentioned by Sean in this site's comments section, just the other day - Marvel's adaptation of the musical that shook the world.

But how does the story stand up, without the music to support it?

I dread to think.

Marvel Preview #22, Merlin

Hold on a minute, it's another comic based on something we were discussing in the comments section the other day! Has 1980 Marvel been reading my blog again?

This time, it's the adventures of Merlin, courtesy of Doug Moench and John Buscema. I don't know what happens in it - although I suspect King Arthur may be involved - but I do know the main story's 55 pages long.

I'm also not sure just what Merlin's up to on that cover but I suspect it's not something they teach you in Wizard School.

Marvel Treasury Edition #26, The Rampaging Hulk

Hooray! They've got the whole Harpy/Modok/Bi-Beast storyline and given it its own Treasury Edition. At last, we can relive Betty Ross's descent into madness.

She-Hulk #6, Iron Man

It would appear Iron Man travels to Los Angeles to investigate the death of a Tony Stark employee - only to discover She-Hulk is Prime Suspect Number One.

I've not one scrap of doubt this'll lead to a punch-up between them before they unite to tackle the real killer.

Star Trek #4, Marvel Comics

I know nothing of this book, other than that it's drawn by Dave Cockrum and written by Marv Wolfman. However, that is a very appealing cover.

Battlestar Galactica #17

It's another one whose contents I know nothing of and have picked purely for the cover which, in this case, is, I believe, by Frank Miller.

Ghost Rider #46

It seems Johnny Blaze loses his stunt-cycle title to Flagg Fargo. Will he ever get over the ignominy of it all?

And will he be able to convince the world that Fargo cheated?

Aw, who cares? Just look at that cover by Bob Budiansky. If that doesn't make you buy this comic, what would?

20 comments:

Comicsfan said...

How cool to learn about that Moench/Buscema 55-pager--and, good heavens, Tom Palmer inks it, as well. It must be a feast for the eyes. There are so many takes on the legend of Merlin--I'll have to try to hunt this one down when time permits, out of curiosity for what Moench does with it. (Excellent cover by Earl Norem!)

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Steve - do you know if the Merlin tale features Sir Lancelot (du Lac) or Guinevere?

Actually - anyone - I don't know the original source material of King Arthur. Does it include Merlin, Lancelot, Guinevere or were those later add ons?

Finally, does this have anything to do with Stonehenge?

I really need to study up on UK history... sheesh...

Steve W. said...

Charlie, I can shed no light on which characters are in that Marvel Preview.

As for the original myth, anyone with a French name is a later add-on. Merlin's probably a later add-on. I don't know if there is one piece of source material. As far as I can make out, it's all cobbled together from various disparate elements.

Stonehenge has nothing to do with King Arthur, although I've seen it claimed it was the inspiration for the idea of the Round Table. As Sean's pointed out before, there's a myth that Merlin transported it to Britain from Ireland.

However, Stonehenge is over 4,500 years old and King Arthur, if he existed, was around roughly 1,500 years ago.

Comicsfan, it's a book I'd been totally aware of until I started researching this post. There really are some oddities out there.

dangermash aka The Artistic Actuary said...

Listen, guys, if any of you love Airplane ("Air Israel, please leave the runway.") then you need to seek out a 1969 film called Zero Hour. I'Ve seen it and my jaw didn't leave the floor. So:ma6 scenes in Airplane are based on scenes in Zero Hour. It was on YouTube at one point but I can't find it there now. There are YouTube videos that talk all about the similarities but watching them isn't the same as watching the film and seeing it all for yourself. Anyway, if you can't watch the film, check out the trailer at https://youtu.be/AWI3JZvvbI4

Anonymous said...

Stonehenge may be over 4,500 years old Steve, but it doesn't follow its always been in the same place! Having said that, it seems likely Marvel would take its cue on Arthurian times more from Hal Foster than Geoffrey of Monmouth, but not being familiar with their Merlin I couldn't say for sure.
But like Comicsfan I'll keep an eye out for that issue - Preview had some good stuff in it at this point, and it looks promising. Hopefully its better than Modred the Mystic in Marvel Chillers #1!

I have read Howard the Duck #6 though, and its definitely worth checking out.
A lot of people are down on the post-Gerber series, but as someone who thought the writing was always a bit over-rated on Howard I had no problem with enjoying the rather excellent return to Duckworld artwork by Michael Golden.

-sean




dangermash aka The Artistic Actuary said...

Sorry 1959 not 1969.

Anonymous said...

Don't know about the film, but Marvel's Xanadu adaptation starts off with a single page still, and "In Xanadu did Kubla Khan a stately pleasure dome decree..." in big letters.

Good to see Coleridge wasn't wasting his time...

-sean

Killdumpster said...

First saw Airplane during a quad-bill at the Skyway drive-inn. The other films were Meatballs, Cheech-n-Chong's Up In Smoke, and Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Don't know how Chainsaw was imbeded with all those comedies, but there is quite a few goofy comedic moments in that film so I guess it gerd a pass.

One of my greatest all-time ever drive-inn experiences, but I don't remember how I drove home.

Saw Alligator a gazillion times on a pay cable channel, when it was free. My kind of cheese.

Had no idea Marvel did a Xanadu adaption. Oh...the horror....

Didn't they also do an adaption of that nasty Bee Gees/Peter Frampton film SGT. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band?

At that time my sister said it was her favorite movie. I knew I shouldn't see it, even with Alice Cooper in it.

Killdumpster said...

Don't know if it was a colorist error or not, but it looks like the Rulk-prototype tore the back half of Starbucks drawers off on that cover.

Monster mayhem space-Deliverance? Lol.

"Squeal like a Vlirblatium!!!" Lmao.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Yowza yowza yowza as Chic sang about 40+ years ago! (Or do you say Yowsah?)

Anyhow that Marvel Previews Merlin book is available all day long for a sawbuck ($10) on ebay.

This is the kind of thing you troll a convention for and probably get at a fin each ($5) or 3 different ones for a double sawbuck ($20). Yep - I love paying $50 to get into the doors to save a couple bits on a comic, LOL!


https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Preview-Presents-Merlin-1980-John-Buscema-Doug-Moench/233239779354?hash=item364e2c981a:g:5soAAOSwFD1c7Aq-

Charlie Horse 47 said...

O.m.gosh... I jumped ahead on ebay and looked at Marvel PReview PResents #23! Talk about "Yowza!"

Redartz said...

Oh man, "Airplane!". That movie probably warped me as much as all those years listening to Dr. Demento. So many classic lines. "Roger, Roger. What's your vector Victor?"

Regarding "Xanadu", I saw the film (yes, I was the one) but failed to get the Marvel Movie Special. One of the few I missed; had "The Deep", "For Your Eyes Only ", and "Raiders"...

Killdumpster said...

Was glad to pickup that Hulk treasury, as I missed a few issues of that storyline.

I don't know if I'm the only one, but I felt like I was more in depth with the artists, reading their masterworks close to the size they drew them. Just my opinion.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

KD - I agree there is something about the Treasury's... One might think that b/c the pages were larger you'd feel the page to be somewhat empty of detail but not so.

Anonymous said...

Hello and thanks for my birthday wishes. Sorry that I have had to reply here because at the minute we have computer problems. I would have called you on skype but cannot get at it just now. I will probably be able to access technology again by the end of the week and will call you then.

your cyst. xxxx

Steve W. said...

Thank you, mystery anonymous person.

KD, there was something special about seeing the art in giant size.

Red, sadly, I didn't have any of the Marvel movie specials. Admittedly, I'm not sure I'd really have wanted Xanadu.

Sean, trouble is, I can't read that line without hearing Holly Johnson's voice in my head.

Dangermash, there's a video on YouTube that deals with the similarities between the two films: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-v2BHNBVCs

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Anyone know of a html link to all the Marvel Treasury's?

Quite frankly, the one above for Hulkie was totally new to me!

Anonymous said...

Frankie were such great poets they actually changed the line a bit Steve, with "decree" becoming ...er, "erect".
If only Coleridge hadn't been such a lazy git and smoked a bit less opium, maybe he'd have come up with a couplet like "There goes a supernova/ What a pushover" and got "Kubla Khan" finished.

-sean

McSCOTTY said...

Love the Howard the Duck cover with that cheeky wee appearance of Donald Duck. I saw that Merlun edition in Glasgow (City Centre Comics) for around £12 just a few weeks before the lockdown took effect . I wasn't aware it was by big John or I would have bought it on sight I'll need to check if it's still there next time I'm in town

Charlie the link below lists lots (if not all) the Marvel Treasury Editions -Atomic comics xom.


https://atomicavenue.com/title/5101/Marvel-Treasury-Edition

Charlie Horse 47 said...

McScotty - Awesome. Thanks!