Sunday 25 April 2021

2000 AD - March 1983.

Thanks to Charlie Horse 47 and Killdumpster for their sponsorship of this post, via the magic of Patreon
***

Some things in this world were invented well before they should have been. The fax machine, for instance, was invented way back in 1843.

Another perfect example is the 3D printer which some of us always regard as the living embodiment of cutting-edge technology. But, in fact, the 3D printer was invented in the dim and distant days of March 1983 by a man with the distinctly uninventory name of Chuck Hull.

I am assuming he wasn't a relative of Rod.

Whether he was or not, he clearly deserves a round of applause for his ingenuity. I don't have a clue just how a 1983 3D printer would even work. I'm just hoping it wasn't relying on the 1980s miracle that was the dot matrix.

Nothing quite so futuristic was occurring in the cinema, that month, which saw the release of two notable films, in The Thorn Birds and Monty Python's Meaning of Life.

I must admit, I'd always been under the impression The Thorn Birds was a TV mini-series, so it shows how much I know. And I must confess to never having seen The Meaning of Life either. Fair play to me, though, I was, at least, aware it's not a mini-series.

But what of the music charts?

The UK album chart saw U2 top of the pack, at the month's outset, thanks to their LP War. However, a week later, it was deposed by Michael Jackson's Thriller.

Knowing, as we do, that the album went on to become the best-selling album of all time, we could be forgiven for thinking that, having hit the top spot, it stayed there for months.

In fact, it stayed there for just one week before being clobbered by Tears for Fears' The Hurting. However, that too had to make way, just seven days later, when it was KO'd by Pink Floyd's The Final Cut. There's no getting round it, that month's album chart was all action.

The UK singles chart, that March, was mostly dominated by Bonnie Tyler's Total Eclipse of the Heart, which seems topical, given the death of Jim Steinman, just the other day. But, right at the end of the month, even Bonnie's leathery lungs had to submit to the chart powerhouse that was Duran Duran who grabbed the Number One perch with Is There Something I Should Know? 

I could not say what Duran Duran should or shouldn't know but I can confess there's something I should know.

And that's what the galaxy's greatest comic was up to at the time.

Obviously, I don't know.

I am aware, however, that Tharg's Time Twisters, Judge Dredd, Rogue Trooper, Robo-Hunter and Harry Twenty on the High Rock all featured, that month.

Perhaps more intriguingly, we got the start of a brand new Alan Moore series called Skizz. Even though I must have read it, I've no memory of it. Nor do I have a clue what it was about.

Speaking of new series, we also got the start of a storyline called Invasion of the Thrill Snatchers, starring Tharg. I don't have a clue what that was about. Could it be that we got to see the enigmatic alien editor indulging in super-heroics?

Also worthy of note is the fact that we got the final pages of the miniature reprint of the first-ever issue.

2000 AD prog 306, Sam Slade

2000 AD prog 307, Judge Dredd

2000 AD prog 308

2000 AD prog 309

14 comments:

Redartz said...

I had no idea "The Thornbirds" had a theatrical release. Thought it was just a mini, as you said Steve. Not that I watched it or anything.
However I did watch " Meaning of Life"; to this day my wife and I top off a large meal with the observation that "it's only a thin mint". Which of course means nothing to you if you haven't seen it, but there it is...

You're quite right Steve, that was a gargantuan month for albums. "Thriller" speaks for itself. And admittedly, I only came to experience the greatness of "The Hurting" after "Songs From the Big Chair" hit big over here. As it turned out, those two albums occupied my turntable for much of the summer of 1985...

Steve W. said...

Red, this is weird. I've just double-checked and Wikipedia's Thorn Birds page says it was a TV mini-series but Wikipedia's, "1983 in film," page says it had a cinematic release. As it was 467 minutes long, that seems a little unlikely. I can only assume the 1983 film page is wrong.

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid I can't shed any light on the Thorn Birds mystery Steve, but I can let you know you're not missing much by being unfamiliar with Monty Python's Meaning Of Life.

Skizz must be the least remembered of Alan Moore's early, pre-DC series. Coming just after the first year's worth of Marvelman and V For Vendetta, and preceeding Halo Jones - while he was also writing Captain Brexit in Daredevils - perhaps thats not surprising, considering the editorial brief was to rework ET* for the progs.
(* Note for those unfamiliar with British weekly comics: IPC were in the habit of modelling their series on hit films and TV shows eg MACH One was a riff on The Six Million Dollar Man, Hook Jaw on Jaws, Moonchild on Carrie, El Mestizo on Django Unchained - which was impressive considering that wasn't actually made for another three decades - and so on)

So anyway, Skizz was basically a less (but not completely un-) sentimental ET, in the more proletarian setting of early Thatcher-era Birmingham.
Not exactly a lost classic, but pretty good for what is.

-sean

Anonymous said...

My favorite part of "The Meaning of Life" is when the Angel of Death told the obnoxious American dinner guests, "You're dead now so shut up!"

M.P.

Steve W. said...

Thanks for the Skizz info, Sean. I, earlier, Googled images of it but none of the panels rang any bells for me.

MP, I shall have to make an effort to watch The Meaning of Life, at some point.

Upon further inspection, it turns out I have seen the Thorn Birds, though all I can recall of it is that Richard Chamberlain played a priest.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Darn boys and girls! The music charts are now starting to explode! It's gonna be a fun year!

Anonymous said...

What in the name of God's Green Goodness are you talking about, Charlie.

M.P.

Anonymous said...

Prog 308, the first Skizz issue, also contained an early Alan Moore Time Twister tilted The Reversible Man. Easily amongst his top two Time Twisters (the other obviously Chrono-cops). I remember being bowled over by this at the time and it actually becomes more poignant with age. I heard first hand (Eddie Campbell) that the then editors at 2000AD shared with Moore that it reduced a couple of IPC secretaries to tears. Its bound to be online somewhere and very much worth reading.

DW

Anonymous said...

DW, The Reversible Man is unusual for one of Moore's 2000AD shorts as it isn't humorous, and I do wonder if thats partly why its so highly rated.
Don't get me wrong - its a really good demonstration of his skill as a writer, the way he can get so much out of a fairly simple idea, but it didn't strike me as one of the best (mind you, I am the sort of heartless bastard who prefers the Time Twister with the first appearance of DR & Quinch).

Completely agree about Chrono-cops being the obvious stand out. So good, maybe Steve will even remember it in this feature next month!

-sean

Steve W. said...

I wouldn't build your hopes up, Sean....

Anonymous said...

C'mon Steve - I wasn't actually being serious there.

-sean

Anonymous said...

Sean

I believe Moore rated this highly amongst his early body of work. He revisited the reversed time flow concept on at least two more occasions (The Birth Caul and A Small Killing). I think the efficiency of his writing and his ability to make everyday mundanity appear fresh, really stand out here.

Steve

Any plans to feature Warrior? I suspect the pre-US Moore, David, Bolland, Gibbons, etc. era remains warmly nostalgic for a few of us.

DW

Anonymous said...

A Small Killing - now you're talking DW. A very underrated book imo.

Warrior could be an interesting add-on to the first Marvel UK post of the month at the relevant point, in much the same way the 50 Years Ago feature now includes a couple of DCs.

Steve will no doubt say he doesn't know enough about the mag, but he said that about DC too.
And it hasn't stopped him posting about 2000AD for ages either!
(No offence intended Steve - if you think about it, its actually a tribute to your efforts here)

-sean

Steve W. said...

DW and Sean, sadly, I fear that having to do Warrior on top of all the other comics will stretch my sanity beyond breaking point.