Sunday 6 March 2022

Fifty years ago today - March 1972.

Thanks to Charlie Horse 47 and Killdumpster for their sponsorship of this post, via the magic of Patreon
***

Some like to declare that things are out of this world but some things really are out of this world.

One of them is the Pioneer 10 spacecraft. I don't have a clue where it is right now but I do know that in March 1972, it was at Cape Kennedy.

However, that didn't last long because, that very month, it was launched into outer space before going on to become the first man-made object to leave the solar system.

Resolutely refusing to leave the solar system were Jethro Tull who strayed right here and released their Thick as a Brick LP. I've never heard it but it would seem it was a concept album which pretended to have been written by an 8-year-old boy called Gerald Bostock. Sounds groovy.

Rather less groovy - because it didn't need to run on grooves, unlike those pesky trams - was the last trolleybus system in the United Kingdom, located in Bradford, West Yorkshire. Sadly, March 1972 saw it close, after over 60 years of operation.

Amazing Spider-Man #106, unmasked

Can it be? Has the devious Professor Smythe managed to uncover Spider-Man's true identity, by using his army of rooftop cameras?

Yes, it can.

Fortunately, Peter Parker's trip to the rubber mask factory soon thwarts the scientist's evil scheme.

Avengers #97, Rick Jones gets super-powers

The Kree/Skrull War reaches its awesome conclusion, as Neal Adams disappears without a trace, a load of Golden Age heroes reappear and Rick Jones becomes the most powerful sidekick in the universe!

Captain America #147, Supreme Hydra unmasked

At last, the true identity of the Supreme Hydra is revealed!

It's going to be the Red Skull, isn't it?

Conan the Barbarian #14, Conan meets Elric

What's that, Skippy, Conan meets Elric of Melbourne, Australia's greatest Fantasy hero?

I do believe that Zukala and Zephra also return.

I must confess the exact plot of this tale escapes my recollection but if Ramsay Street doesn't feature, I'll be highly disappointed with them.

Daredevil #85, the Gladiator

I know nothing of this tale but, from the title, it seems the Gladiator's causing no end of trouble on a plane.

Fantastic Four #120, Airwalker

I've no problems remembering this one, as Galactus' latest herald shows up to give the Fantastic Four plenty of trouble, before turning out to be a robot.

Incredible Hulk #149, the Inheritor

The Inheritor!

Who is he?

What is he?

He's a giant cockroach who needs fresh doses of radiation to prevent him reverting to his natural form.

And that can only lead him to Project Greenskin.

And that can only lead to a punch-up with the Hulk.

Thor #197, Mangog, John Romita

Thor and the Warriors Three battle Satrina and Kartag, as Mangog lays waste to Asgard. 

Can it be the end for the Norse Gods?

And, for that matter, the end for all of us?

Iron Man #45, student protesters

I've no idea what happens in this tale but I do know I wrote a post about its cover once.

And here it is.


But that's enough about Marvel. We should never forget it has a rival. One that likes to churn out comics too.

That in mind, let's peruse a snatch of the more promising DC offerings which bear a March 1972 cover date.

It's a 100-page spectacular as Adventure Comics takes a look at the World's Greatest Super-Females.

And, so, we get a selection of tales starring Supergirl, Wonder Woman, the Black Canary, Phantom Lady and Merry the Gimmick Girl.

I don't have a clue who Merry the Gimmick Girl is.

Or just what her gimmick is.

The Brave and the Bold #100, Batman

DC's legendary team-up book hits its 100th issue and does so with a main story that involves Batman, Black Canary, Green Arrow, Green Lantern and Robin, while the back-up strip stars Deadman as presented to us by Jack Miller and Neal Adams.

The Flash #213

What's? this? the old Flash fighting the new Flash? What kind of madness is this?

On top of that, we also get a breathless adventure called Fatal Fingers of the Flash!

But why are they fatal?

I dread to think.

The Sinister House of Secret Love #3

We all know this feature wouldn't be complete without a 
spooky romance cover. And here's another one. This time, from George Ziel.

The main offering's a thing called Bride of the Falcon,  written by Frank Robbins and drawn by Alex Toth.

But there's also room for a secondary tale, Will I Ever See You Again? as brought to us by the pencil of Jack Sparling and the typewriter of an anonymous author.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bought that Daredevil hot off the spinner rack at Thrifty Drug store, but remember almost nothing about it. It’s inked by Syd Shores, which means it’s a Gene Colan comic that I haven’t revisited very often.

Oh wait! Is this the one where Karen Page, who’s been disconsolate over her break-up with Matt, finally decides to turn the page and start a rebound romance with her agent, and then she runs into Matt on the street and before you know it, they’re snogging up a storm on the sidewalk, while the jilted agent looks like he’s going to throw himself under a bus in the background?

I impulse-bought a bagged copy of that ADVENTURE 100-pager about ten years ago. The awesome Bob Oksner cover is the best thing about it.

SINISTER HOUSE #3 is terrific. The story is the usual grab-bag of Gothic Romance cliches, nothing ground-shaking, but it’s competently told. The art, now — it’s gorgeous, just GORGEOUS. Alex Toth inked by Frank Giacoia and an uncredited Doug Wildey. Toth was usually quite stingy about praising his inkers but he was known to have been pleased with how this one turned out.

George Ziel was the undisputed King of Gothic Romance paperback art. His SINISTER HOUSE cover originally appeared on a paperback called THE HOUSE OF TERROR, and looks even better in full color. His cover for DC’s other Gothic comic, DARK MANSION OF FORBIDDEN LOVE #1, was also likely re-purposed paperback cover art, but I don’t think it’s ever been identified yet.

b.t.

Anonymous said...

Eh? I don't know what b.t.'s been smoking there, Steve, but Adventure Comics #416 is a 100 pages of pure awesome.
Well, ok, maybe not the Gimmick Girl story, but the rest of it... obviously you can't go wrong with some classic 'silver age' Supergirl (especially as one of the stories includes Comet the super-horse) and the first ever appearance - "meet the most fascinating crook of all time" - of the Black Canary.
But even better than that, you get a fantastic Wonder Woman epic from the Marston/Peter era.

Did you know that alongside Themsci..., Thescym... er, Paradise Island theres also a Transformation Island (aka Reform Island), where the Amazons keep their prisoners?
And that the prisoners all have to submit to wearing a Venus Girdle - "[made of] magic metal from Venus, it removes all desire to do evil and compels complete obedience to loving authority" - so that only the most incorrigibly villainous even want to try and escape?

Eviless, the slaver from Saturn, is of course just such an incorrigible case, and along with a few of the other hardcore on the island breaks free, and - suffering Sappho! - they enslave the rest of the prisoners and Amazons, and generally cause trouble (which mainly seems to involve tying up Wonder Woman a lot).
Its a completely mad, brilliant story that really shows up what a poor job DC have done with the character ever since.

-sean

Anonymous said...

You know what, Steve, my recollection is that - somewhat surprisingly - the Supreme Hydra did not turn out to be the Red Skull in that Captain America story. Although I'm hard pressed just now to remember who it actually was.
The Kingpin maybe?

And does anyone know what on earth is happening with the Spidey figure on that first cover?

-sean

McSCOTTY said...

Amazing selection of comics here.

B.t Everything Toth did was " gorgeous" but I agree this was one of his very best.I didn't realise Widley was involved in this strip.

Wasn't the unmasked Hydra supreme chappie in Cap 147 initially revealed as the Kingpins son or do I have that all wrong ?

Brave and The Bold 100 is one of my all time favourites and I think it was the first time I saw Jim Aparo's art. The Adams Deadman back up was a cracker as well.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

It's funny, all the little anecdotes I have about these comics

Bought several off the spinner rack: Spidey, DD, FF, IM, and B&B.

Two favs were FF and B&B. FF cover I still find to be one of my favs as well as the story. The B&B was perhaps the first DC I ever bought. The story was awesome at the time, with Bats having been shot near the heart. But I reread it a few months back at it was may more dramatic to a 10 year old than a 60 year old, lol.

The Iron Man story - I recall him getting hit in the head with a brick and being stunned and thinking... w.t.h... you realize you been hit in the head with a brick after fighting all those super villains?

The Avengers... due to distribution issues the last Avengers I saw / bought was the immortal # 93. Then for Xmas the folks took us kids to Chicago and I saw 97 on a newstand on the street. It was winter, it was xmas. My head exploded seeing the cover. I had to have it!!! But, my parents weren't about to stop and buy me a comic book, lol. (Recall these issues were on the stand in December, not March.)

Charlie Horse 47 said...

It's funny...

Look at Marvel's second tier characters, on Avengers 97, from WW 2 era and compare that to DC's on the Flash.

We all recognize the Flash, Green Lantern, Hawkman, Dr. Midnite from WW2. I, and I'll guest most of us, still can't name the other characters on Avengers 97 besides guess at "The Destroyer?"

DC was a real comic book machine in the 40s!

Anonymous said...

Sadly Charlie, I am able to name every character on that Avengers cover. As it happens, none of them are the Destroyer.

Paul, I think you might be right about the Kingpin's son.
And on the subject of Alex Toth, I enjoyed the recent Black Canary post on your blog. I'd have mentioned it there, but your comment settings keep the riff-raff out (;.

-sean

Anonymous said...

Whachoo talkin’ about, Charlie? That there is the Blazing Skull, The Patriot, The Vision, The Fin, and in the back is The Big Weird-Hand Kid — EVERY comics nerd worthy of the name knows them. (Okay, I confess I had to look up The Patriot.)

Fair point tho, brother. But I think maybe it’s more that DC was a bit better at recycling their Golden Age characters? And ultimately, is DC re-booting Flash, GL, The Atom, Hawkman, etc in the Silver Age a more significant accomplishment than Marvel coming up with all-new Original characters like Spidey, the FF and The X-Men?

Sean:
Well, I do dig those Golden Age Black Canary stories, with teenage Carmine Infantino doing his best Caniff impression (too bad this one’s only 6 pages long). And Lord knows Golden Age Wonder Woman stories are always a bucket of strange, strange, STRANGE fun. But it’s possible that 36 pages of Harry Peters art (in a 100-page package) is a little too much of a ‘good’ thing. And honestly, I’ve never been a fan of those early Supergirl stories— and the only thing blander than early 1960s Jim Mooney art is early 1960s Curt Swan art. In my opinion.

b.t.

McSCOTTY said...

Sean apologies for not being able to comment on my wee blog, I will need to see how I can accept anon comments.

I can’t remember all the characters on the cover of Avengers 97 but I’m pretty sure the one CH called the Destroyer is the original Vision (others are Blazing Skull, Patriot, original Human Torch, Cap and Namor) I have forgotten who the gy with the fin on his head is called ( unless it’s the Fin 😊)

Colin Jones said...

Talking of Ramsay Street, Steve, have you heard the shocking news that 'Neighbours' is ending?

Anonymous said...

I took a quick look at DD #85, and am happy to report that the Colan / Shores art on that issue actually looks a lot better than I remembered. Also, amazingly, I was right about the scene with Matt and Karen’s big ol’ lip-lock. I’d forgotten that it wasn’t just Karen’s love-sick agent getting humiliated in that scene — the lady DD has been dating for the past several issues (none other than the babe-tastic Black Widow) is also witness to the pair’s pulse-pounding PDA, and leaves in tears. DD, you dog….

Also, I re-read Sean’s synopsis of the WW stories in the ADVENTURE 100-pager, and it all sounds so utterly bananas that I’m tempted to dig it out and give it another go. It will take more than the presence of Comet the Super-horse to get me to read the Supergirl stories, tho.

Also, I hadn’t really noticed anything odd about the Spidey figure on the 106 cover before— but holy cow, that ain’t right.

b.t.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

B.T. LOL - After 50 years I noticed the Spidey's contortion as well! Good lord. Twisting 180 degrees just like the head of a squirrel?

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Today is National Cereal Day in the UK!

Anyone for Steve Does Weetabix?

Steve W. said...

Bt, thanks for the info about that DD tale.

Sean, as you know, I've never seen a Silver Age Supergirl story I didn't love. Especially the weird ones with her horse.

I was indeed aware that the Amazons send all their criminals to another island.

But wait. What? There's a super-villain revelation in a Captain America story - and it's not The Red Skull? The only way I won't feel cheated is if the villain turns out to be Bucky.

McScotty, come to think of it, the Kingpin's son being the Supreme Hydra does vaguely ring a bell.

Charlie, if only the Mandarin had thought to arm himself with a house brick.

Colin, I have heard the shocking news about the demise of Neighbours.

For our US readers, Neighbours is an Australian soap that launched the careers of Kylie Minogue, Natalie Imbruglia, Guy Pearce and Margot Robbie among many others. It was, at one point, highly popular in Britain but faded into semi-obscurity when it moved to the little-watched Channel 5. And, now, it's been cancelled after Channel 5 pulled the plug on its funding.

Anonymous said...

The horn of fate sounds for the doomed soap's passing.
Bring on Elric of Melbourne for the last episode, to finish the cast off and let loose the lords of chaos on Ramsay Street...

Anyway Steve, re Captain America, fwiw I think the Red Skull might have been controlling the Supreme Hydra the whole time anyway.

"The Black Magic of Supergirl", the best of her three stories in Adventure #416 - in which the Maid of Might goes to India, gets possessed by a demon and becomes evil (and looks rather fetching with a set of devil horns) - is a particularly good one.

Although b.t., somehow I can't see it changing your mind about the 'silver age' Supergirl...

-sean

Anonymous said...

The horn of fate sounds for the doomed soap's passing Steve.
Maybe Elric of Melbourne will turn up in an apocalyptic final episode to finish off the cast and let loose the lords of Chaos on Ramsay Street...

Btw, re Captain America, fwiw I think the Supreme Hydra was controlled by the Red Skull anyway.

-sean

Anonymous said...

I guess I'll never know what "sinister secret" stood in the way of Kathy's love for the Falcon, who, brooding incessantly, no doubt stalked the windswept moors in the shadow of that crumbling Gothic manse depicted on the cover.
Maybe he had a pet falcon on his arm. Maybe they just called him that because he was some kinda badass.
Suddenly I have a weird urge to listen to some Kate Bush.
I'm hoping it'll pass.

Y'know, I've read that those trained falcons, they are a sensitive bird. They require a lotta training and upkeep. It was the sport of princes! You couldn't just be your average Joe Blow and be a falconer, I bet.

M.P.

Colin Jones said...

The Kingpin's son was The Schemer, arch-enemy and rival of The Kingpin - it was the first Spidey story I ever read (in Spider-Man Comics Weekly #103-108, January-March 1975). The Kingpin's son was certainly keeping himself busy if he was the Supreme Hydra as well!

Anonymous said...

M.P. —
The complete ‘Bride of the Falcon’ is online at the Alex Toth Archives site. There you will discover the sinister secret keeping the innocent young nurse from from living happily ever after with the darkly handsome Master of Falcon Rock….

b.t.