Tuesday 22 February 2011

Bringing it all back. The play's the thing.

Daredevil #1
As I'm sure you know, writing this blog's the only thing that stops me from plunging headlong into madness. So, I thought I'd give you the chance to allow it to serve your therapeutic needs as well.

Therefore the question I'm asking you is which super-heroes did you most pretend to be when you were a kid, and in what ways did you pretend to be them?

As I've mentioned before, the comic book characters I most pretended to be were Dracula, the Sub-Mariner and Daredevil, with Daredevil being perhaps the most imitated. Pretending to be Daredevil did, after all, give me the chance to indulge in my five great childhood passions; super-heroes, Lego, Meccano, lying down, and pretending to be a woman. I won't go into any detail other than to say, "Billy club, grappling hook, hauling myself into dangerous places, and Daredevil expected an answer from the Black Widow when he spoke to her."

I'm sure you have equally heart-warming tales from your own childhood, that you'd like to share with us. Or perhaps you don't. Either way I'd like to hear from you in that comments box below. Remember, you'd have to pay hundreds of pounds an hour to get this sort of service from a trained psychiatrist, while Steve Does Comics offers it for free. Truly they don't lie when they call this the Steve Does Comics Age of Primal Therapy.

5 comments:

joe ackerman said...

there was this girl who lived up the top of the street where I was brought up, her name was Charlotte ( & here's a bit of completely unneccessary name-dropping: her mum was Shelagh Delaney ), and we always used to pretend to be Superman and Lois Lane. later, we got to pretending to be Batman and Wonder Woman for a while, but it always came back to Superman and Lois Lane, in the end. as far as playing on my own goes, I was always a Batman kid. & I always used to play the bad guys, too. well, I say bad guys: what I mean is The Joker. yep, I used to do a terrific Cesar Romero impression back in the day.

on a similar note, in the early 'nineties, the BBC started running a Batman radio serial in the afternoons, based on KnightFall. at that time, I was working in a warehouse on my own. so, yeah, after a reasonably long liquid lunch, I got back to work, put the radio on, and there was Batman, complete with moody music and swooshy cape effects. cool! so, I thought it would be a good idea to tie a towel around my neck and swing/jump from shelf-racking to shelf-racking, shouting out various Batman-style slogans. which would have been fine, had it not been that my boss, and two very important customers, decided to turn up at that exact moment and stood there, politely not saying anything at all, until I finished with my perfectly executed leap/landing right in front of them. suprisingly enough, no one mentioned it, not a word, despite my repeatedly refering to each of them for the rest of the afternoon as "citizen."

man, I loved the 'nineties. . .

Steve said...

I remember that Batman radio serial. They did an adaptation of the Death of Superman too, I seem to remember.

bliss_infinte said...

Captain America!

I loved the way he would dive through the air into peoples guts. When I leaped through the air I'd always land on my gut and knock the wind out of myself.

Good Times!

Kid said...

I was BATMAN, John Fidler was ROBIN. On my own, I was THOR, or SUPERMAN. With Philip Marshall, I was POWER MAN and he was WONDERMAN. We must've nicked the names from the MARVEL baddies, but our versions were good guys. Inside our domino masks were the lenses from cheap sunglasses. A balaclava completed the effect as far as headgear goes. Why do I feel like doing it all again?

R. W. Watkins said...

Charlie Brown. I must have been really disturbed. And Yes, my afterschool football team came complete with at least one vagina. No beagles, I regret, however.