Sunday 7 January 2024

The Marvel Lucky Bag - January 1974.

Thanks to Charlie Horse 47 and Killdumpster for their sponsorship of this post, via the magic of Patreon
***

Hark! Do you hear them? The creatures of the night?

You certainly did if you entered a cinema in the first month of 1974.

It was, after all, a month which unleashed upon us The Satanic Rites of Dracula and The Bat People.

Fortunately, for those who don't appreciate nocturnal flappings, that January also saw the release of John Wayne's McQ, and something called Rhinoceros. The latter of which was, it seems, a comedy starring both Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder.

In all honesty, I think the only one of those four films I've seen is The Satanic Rites of Dracula. Therefore, I see no choice but to name it the official Steve Does Comics' Film of the Month.

Ka-Zar, Lord of the Hidden Jungle #1

Ka-Zar gets the first issue of what feels like his millionth comic!

Sadly, I possess limited knowledge of what happens in it, other than it seems to feature more flashbacks than you can shake a T Rex at. And that's a lot of flashbacks.

Also, it's fabulous.

How do I know that?

Because the cover says it is.

Man-Thing #1

And it's not just Ka-Zar who's headlining a new book, this month - because Man-Thing issue #1 is now hitting a swamp near you.

And I must confess I don't really know what happens in this one either.

I do know that Howard the Duck's name is revealed.

But I too can reveal it.

It's Howard.

The Duck.

It would seem Daredevil and the Black Widow are also in this one. As well as someone called Dakimh the Enchanter.

Marvel Spotlight #13, the Son of Satan

It's unlucky issue #13 for someone when the Son of Satan has his second-ever adventure.

And it looks like that someone is Satan who still has to put up with his offspring's determination to slap him about a bit.

In truth, this is all an excuse to give us an origin issue in which we discover just where our favourite anti-hero came from and how his sister's involved.

Not only that but we learn from where he got his mighty trident.

Marvel Treasury Edition #3, Thor

Thor receives his own Marvel Treasury Edition but can even such a huge book contain whatever awesomeness a thunder god might throw at it?

Just about.

But only just.

Because we get a reprinting of the epic saga in which Thor and Hercules duke it out for the hand of Jane Foster, while Pluto sticks his shades on, heads for Hollywood and contrives to turn the Greek prince of power into a prisoner of Hades.

But, with his strength reduced by 50%, can the scion of Asgard hope to do more than merely annoy the brash Olympian?

Marvel Treasury Special, Giant Superhero Holiday Grab-Bag #1

Truly, we're being spoiled because now we're given a second Treasury Edition.

And this one seems to feature just about everyone.

We have the Human Torch and Spider-Man vs the Sandman.

Then, we get Daredevil's first-ever encounter with the Sub-Mariner, as brought to us by Wally Wood.

Next, the Black Widow encounters a villain called The Astrologer.

And, finally, the Hulk fights the Thing in a clash reprinted from Fantastic Four issues #25 and #26. Also starring the rest of the Fantastic Four and the Avengers and Rick Jones! And the Teen Brigade!!!

Marvel Two-in-One #1, the Thing vs Man-Thing

And another new mag hits the shelves.

And this too features the Man-Thing!

As far as I can make out, the Fantastic Four's Thing heads for Florida to punish the swamp monster for copying his name.

Seriously.

However, newly arrived from another dimension, the Molecule Man also finds himself in Florida. Surely, a three-way scrap can be the only outcome of this outcome.

Tomb of Dracula #16, Back from the Grave

Is there a human being alive who could say no to that cover?

No. There isn't. And so it is that the lord of all vampires finds himself up against a skeleton that's got loose on the streets of London.

But how can even Vlad himself hope to defeat a man who refuses to die?

Werewolf by Night #13, Taboo

My memories of what happens inside this book are a little vague but I do know it's the one in which Jack Russell first encounters Topaz and her power to calm the wildest of beasts.

And that has to be good news because he's going to need all her help to subdue the wildness of Taboo.

Evel Knievel #1, Marvel Comics

But everything we've seen, this month, pales into hopeless insignificance as we enter the comics event of the decade.

And that's Marvel Comics' tribute to Evel Knievel!

I can shed no light upon the activities of Evel in this comic but I do know he stars in a yarn called The Perilous Traps of Mr Danger! as written by a mystery scribe and drawn by Win Mortimer.

We also get a page titled Evel Knievel Bicycle Safety.

Somehow the words, "Evel Knievel," and, "Bicycle safety," don't feel like they belong in the same sentence.

32 comments:

dangermash said...

A special word for the Black Widow story in the Holiday Grabbag.

For me, one of the greatest four ever Marvel art jobs along with
~ Silver Surfer #4
~ the Avengers issue with Arkon's second appearance and Black Knight and Enchantress
~ the Captain America issue with the Hulk that includes that great two page splash of Cap and Hydra hordes

And I know four is a weird number. Top threes, top fives and top tens work better but four it is. I guess I could make it five by throwing in a Romita ASM issue but they're all such high quality that it's hard to pick out an individual issue.

Anonymous said...

Out of this bunch, I only own the Thor Treasury Edition - but it's a good one!

dangermash - I totally agree about the merits of Silver Surfer # 4! However, I cannot place all the others you've mentioned. I've got my own favourite Romita senior!

Phillip

Anonymous said...

Charlie shelled out the big bucks (for a 13 year old) and got that Treasury Holiday Grab Bag! Slim month of pickins for Charlie… but that Treasury Edition is a classic from 50 years ago like DM said!

Anonymous said...

Flash Gordon made his first appearance 90 years ago today. Wow!

dangermash said...

Here you go Phillip. Some links.

Avengers #84
https://peerlesspower.blogspot.com/2016/08/the-sword-and-sorceress.html

And two links to Caotain America #110
https://peerlesspower.blogspot.com/2013/07/cap-bucky-hulk-hydra-steranko.html
https://majorspoilers.com/2015/08/30/retro-review-captain-america-110-february-1969/#:~:text=Stan%27s%20existential%20ruminations%20don%27t,1980s%2C%20for%20one%20thing.)

Obviously thanks to CF for his reviews. And to Matthew Peterson for his, or should I call him MP?

Anonymous said...

Thanks, dangermash - those are some great links!

Your alluding to Arkon(& the Enchantress) vs the Avengers threw me, because my Arkon/Avengers issue (bought at a junior school sale) is this one:

https://www.comics.org/issue/537666/cover/4/

I've got some of the Steranko Cap. Nevertheless, those particular Steranko Cap links are a revelation. It's now clear to me who inspired Sal Buscema's Hulk stop-motion scenes, in several different Len Wein storylines (Mongu, Constrictor, Quintronic Man, etc) !

dangermash - Charlie needed that M.P. info a couple of days ago!!! ; )

Phillip

Anonymous said...

Apologies for my clumsy expression - Sal's Hulk himself wasn't stop-motioned, but other characters/scenes were. Move my word 'Hulk', to in between the name 'Len Wein' & the word 'storylines' (bad syntax!)

Phillip

dangermash said...

Oh was MP that Charlie was after, wasn't it? Well, as the one I came across had a name nothing like Matt Prinz I guess it was a different MP.

Anonymous said...

dangermash - on balance, we decided Prinz isn't it! ;)

Phillip

Redartz said...

At last, 1974; that wonderful year I discovered the lifelong obsession of comics! Well, to be exact, it was just a bit later; another month or so. Nevertheless, I did have that Holiday Treasury; it was a treasure indeed. Worth it just for the Daredeviil/SubMariner battle; lst alone the FF/Hulk/Avengers story. What a package!
That Man-Thing book was great; a Steve Gerber oddity. I picked it up a couple years later. Oh, and Steve- Dakimh the Enchanter was a fun character, a rather paternal wizard trying to guide young Jennifer Kale in her sorcerous education. Part of Man-Thing's vast cast of characters; probably a necessity as Manny isn''t known for his conversation...

Spirit of 74 said...

Neither of the Treasury editions came out at the beginning of 1974, more like the end. Check out the ads in the British Marvels!

Colin Jones said...

Steve, I was going to make the same comment as Spirit Of 74 above - the Giant Superhero Holiday Grab-Bag came out in November 1974 not January and I remember it being advertised on the back-cover of PLANET OF THE APES which I started buying on Nov 16th 1974. Being new to Marvel I was clueless about any of the characters on the Grab-Bag cover!

Anonymous said...

I had the KA-ZAR, DRACULA, WEREWOLF and TWO-IN-ONE. The cover blurb totally lied about KA-ZAR 1 — it’s terrible.

TWO-IN-ONE 1 is fun but yes, Ben’s motivation for traveling cross-country to Florida (by bus yet!) to clean the Man-Thing’s clock is really silly.

WEREWOLF 13 was my first exposure to Mike Ploog’s art and I was an Instant Fan.

Brunner’s MAN-THING cover is my clear favorite of this batch, but I dig the TWO-IN-ONE and WEREWOLF covers almost as much.

b.t.

Anonymous said...

Steve, are we done with the January 74 comics now? Because there are lots of other really amazing books from that month that practically demand comment…

b.t.

Anonymous said...

Obviously I'm the only one pedantic enough to point out the Giant Superhero Holiday Grab bag was a Marvel Treasury Special, rather than a Marvel Treasury Edition. My younger self was confused by this wondering if it was an editorial oversight. However, it doesn't have a Treasury Edition number (unlike nos. 8 and 13, being the other two Giant Superhero Holiday Grab Bags) and was perhaps intend as the first of a parallel title.

As Colin said, this was heavily advertised towards the end of the year, presumably in time for Christmas, which makes more sense.

I had this and the Thor Treasury Edition, and both were fab. Kirby's art looked great at this size. Probably close to the original art size?

DW

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that Treasury is the best thing here DW - you can't go wrong with classic Kirby Thor, let alone in a large format.

Steve, besides being given a name, Howard the Duck was also written out of the storyline in Man-Thing #1, apparently at the best of editor Roy Thomas who was not impressed by the introduction of a random talking duck into a Marvel comic. Which suggests that he was somewhat slack as an editor - given that he'd also been in charge of Fear #19 - and not actually as 'rascally' as Marvel would have us readers believe.

I really like Man-Thing #1 - its out there collision of horror, sword & sorcery, suoerheroics, surrealism and a er... talking duck is exhibit A in the case for Steve Gerber as a writer - but unfortunately its let down by the young Val Mayerik's artwork. I'd say it was a shame Frank Brunner didn't get the gig - b.t. is right about that cover - except then we probably wouldn't have got the best comic of this month, Marvel Premiere #13.

Still, Man-Thing #1 (and Fear #19) needed a better artist to make Gerber's story really work well. See for instance the brilliant Giant-Size Man-Thing (fnar fnar) #3 a year or so later, which - with the return of Korrek, Dakimh, and Jennifer Kale - covered similar ground, and was beautifully drawn by Alfredo Alcala.

-sean

Anonymous said...

*at the behest of editor Roy Thomas

Anonymous said...

Was the Satanic Rites of Dracula the one with the fragrant Joanna Lumley in it, Steve?

I was fairly sure you'd include Tomb of Dracula #16 this time round (although still somewhat surprised Berni Wrighton's skeleton in an overcoat House of Mystery cover didn't make the cut last Tuesday ;)
That issue reveals Drac 'lives' in Highgate Cemetery. I wonder if Marv Wolfman was familiar with stories about the Highgate Vampire...?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highgate_Vampire

Generally though, his London is of, shall we say, questionable authenticity cor blimey guv 'e's 'avin a larf.

Not to mention Ireland, as Dr Sun gets introduced in #16. There are some fairly secluded parts of the country... but even in the early 70s a large pagoda with an army of Chinese communists would have been quite conspicuous, and noticed anywhere. Especially in the British occupied north!

We also get more from Wolfman on post-colonial geopolitics in Werewolf By Night #13, as the account of Taboo's first meeting with Topaz gives us his ahistorical - and indeed factually wrong, in pretty much every respect - take on the partition of India and Pakistan.

Perhaps its just as well comics were often set in made up places like Latveria, or Wakanda...

-sean

Steve W. said...

Sean, it did indeed feature Joanna Lumley.

Sadly, not every skeleton can make it onto this site, or I'd have to post about every single issue of Weird War Tales.

Bt, I think I'm done with January 1974 but feel free to highlight the comics I've missed.

Colin and Spirit of 74, I go on cover dates, rather than dates of publication because that hurts my head less. Plus, publication dates aren't always clear. When a comic doesn't have a cover date, I just go with whatever the Grand Comics Database claims is the cover date.

Anonymous said...

Having Now looked up that Holiday Grab-bag, the selection does seem unusually good. In DD Annual # 4 (MWOM Annual 1979, too), Namor, referencing his & DD's earlier battle (the Grab-bag one), gave credit to the Man Without Fear, where it was due. So, it must have been good!

That Thor Treasury Edition, as well as featuring Thor vs Herc, also reprinted Thor's first titanic battle against Mangog (if I remember correctly) - a real cracker of a story!

Phillip

Anonymous said...

ADVENTURE 431 — first Fleisher / Aparo Spectre story blew me away. Pretty freaking disturbing for 1974.

CAPTAIN MARVEL 30 — Jim Starlin in bombastic super-spectacular mode. everything is “turned up to eleven”. Love it.

MARVEL PREMIERE 13 — Englehart and Brunner were supposedly tripping balls when they did this one and it shows. Wonderfully weird and creepy.

SWAMP THING 8 — my first Bernie Wrightson comic. My God, the man was brilliant. Swampy Vs a cavern-filling Lovecraftian pile of sentient barf. Good times.

b.t.

Anonymous said...

Oh — also in ADVENTURE 431 : “is A Snerl Human?” By Shelly Mayer and Alex Toth. 12 year old Me hated Toth’s art on this one . 62 year old Me thinks it’s sublime.

b.t.

Anonymous said...

Holy Moley that was a good month for comics!

b.t.

Anonymous said...

But wait, there’s more!

Forgot to mention JUNGLE ACTION 8, chapter 3 (I think) of “Panther’s Rage” — “Malice By Crimson Moonlight!” By McGregor, Buckler,and Janson. Yes, McGregor’s writing is overly-verbose and precious at times but it’s often genuinely “elevated”. Buckler is on fire here, it’s a brilliant example of his “Real Buckler” (not Xerox Kirby) style. It may be his best single issue. His double-page splash , clearly inspired by Steranko’s “Hell Hound” story in SHIELD, actually improves on the original. Buckler uses the letter-forms as comic panels, the images cross-cutting from T’Challa’s rejuvenation ritual battle to Malice infiltration the Royal Palace. It’s breath-taking.

b.t.

Anonymous said...

You're right b.t., it was a good month for comics. You surprised me though - I kinda expected a bit of enthusiasm for Amazing Adventures #22 from you.

Much as I'd like to get into it over Jungle Action #8, I'm a bit pressed for time at the moment. So for now I'll just ask this: layouts notwithstanding, are you sure its the 'real Buckler' you're reacting to, and not newcomer Klaus Janson...?

-sean

Anonymous said...

...so how come nobody paid the ransom?
I had to escape on my own.
Anyhoo, the thing about those Marvel Treasury Editions was they would draw you in with those great covers, but it was all reprints which looked pretty rough when they were enlarged into a bigger format.
Still, I bagged my share. I'm not made of stone.
Great post, Steve! Glad to see you're still up and running. I was kinda bummed out when Comicsfan packed it in, but I can't blame him. Believe me, I get it.
Hello to Charlie, and thanks for the kind letter. It touched me.
Life being what it is, there's been some chaos, but things are okay now. I wish you the best this coming year too.
And to all of you!

Those are some great stamps, by the way. They're reproductions of classic Marvel covers. I'm gonna call the local p.o. and see if the still sell 'em.
Cheers!

M.P.

Anonymous said...

Good to see you're still above ground, and at liberty, MP.

-sean

Anonymous said...

Welcome back, M.P. ! Your SDC contribution's been sorely missed (plus - for purely selfish reasons - you're my age, so recognize more of the comics I like!)

Phillip

Anonymous said...

Thanks, pal. And thanks again to Charlie.
You guys are good eggs.
Well, some kinda eggs, anyway. Who am I to judge?

M.P.

Anonymous said...

Sean:
Yes it’s the Real Rich Buckler that I’m reacting to so positively. I like Janson’s inks fine (the Kane/Janson #9 looks especially sharp) but it’s Buckler’s dynamic figures and strong storytelling that drive those first 3 chapters of “Panther’s Rage” — for me anyway..

b.t.

dangermash said...

Glad to see you back M.P.

At some point I need to add an extra para to my will telling my executors to leave the news in a comment on a SDC post when my time's finally over.

Steve W. said...

Welcome back, MP. It's nice to know nothing untoward has happened to you.