Sunday 28 January 2024

Where it all began! TV21 #98.

Thanks to Charlie Horse 47 and Killdumpster for their sponsorship of this post, via the magic of Patreon
***

TV21 #98, Star Trek cover
I've never had even one moment's doubt where I first encountered the magical world of DC comics.

And that was in Adam West's Batman TV show.

How I thrilled, in the late 1960s, as, each week, the cowled crusader would face a larger-than-life foe and defeat him with the aid of the boy wonder and a level of irony so overwhelming it's a miracle I never managed to notice it.

But what about my first taste of Marvel Comics?

That was always a bit vague.

I knew that, in early 1972, I'd acquired a copy of the 1969 Amazing Spider-Man Annual from the Rag and Tag market in Sheffield and that it was the first Marvel mag I'd ever owned.

But there was more to the story than that.

Because I knew for a fact that I'd encountered a Marvel super-hero even earlier.

And that hero was the Silver Surfer.

But just where had I met him? And, if not in the pages of a Marvel comic, then how?

Silver Surfer #12, the Abomination
All I knew was that, long before the launch of Marvel UK, I'd read a British comic which featured the pewter powerhouse battling the Abomination in the streets of a city.

But where could I have read it?

In my mind, it had always been in the pages of TV21.

But that made no sense. After all, everyone knew one thing. That TV21 had been created for just one purpose, to spin yarns based on the stars of Gerry and Sylvia Anderson's puppet shows and if there's one thing I've always known for sure, it's that Norrin Radd is no man's puppet. Surely, then, my memory must have been faulty.

But, no. Once I got the Internet and could do research that had formerly been beyond the realms of human capability, it quickly became clear there was indeed a time when that publication had lost its license to print Anderson-related material and had, therefore, switched to a far more random assortment of strips. 

This meant that, by August 1971, it was giving us such gems as The Tuffs of Terror Island, Forward From the Back Streets, Clancy Clott the Magician's Mate, Wheels Moran, Homer the Happy Ghost, Cap'n Stardust, The Menace of the Black Museum and Ringo Rides Again.

More than that, it was also sharing with us the adventures of Captain James T Kirk and friends in a strip dedicated to Star Trek.

But, more importantly than even that, it was proffering up reprints of the adventures of Galactus' former herald.

Gadzooks! I'd been right for all those years! My first-ever brush with Marvel Comics was indeed in a mag that had been launched to cash in on the popularity of Stingray.

But, in just which issue of that book had I encountered the Surfer and that battle?

Sadly, that wasn't an easy answer to discover.

But I persisted with the search.

And, at last, after nearly two decades of access to the internet, I can share the exciting news that I've tracked down the issue in question. And it was in TV21 #98 (August 7th, 1971) that Zenn-La's finest met the gamma-spawned gargoyle on the streets of London, got clobbered by him, recovered, had a winge about it, clobbered him back and then had a sorcerer return him to where he'd come from. All in the space of just two pages.

Such conciseness was not inherited from Marvel.

Instead, in a masterpiece of cut-and-pasted compression even Dez Skinn would have envied, the clash was condensed heavily by cramming as many panels into each page as possible and removing all superfluous images.

And so, behold, printed below, a comparison between one page of that tale as I first encountered it, and how American readers had experienced the conflict, just one a year previously.

TV21 #98, Silver Surfer vs the Abomination
Silver Surfer #12, the Abomination
But wait! There's more!

And a strange level of moreness it is indeed.

For, it turns out that not only does the comic feature the Silver Surfer.

It also features Spider-Man!

In this case, it focuses on a Peter Parker who's about to launch a fight with Dr Octopus that will bring the tragic demise of Captain George Stacy.

It seems odd that, although I've always remembered seeing the Surfer's yarn in this book, I've never had any recollection of Spidey's. I can only conclude the former character must have made more impact upon me than did the latter.

Regardless, here for comparison is that issue's first page of that Spider-Man tale - which was also granted just two pages per week. And, yet again, it's a masterclass in how to pack the maximum number of panels into a tight space.

TV21 #98, Spider-Man
Sadly, TV21 was to last for just seven more issues before merging with Valiant, and the Surfer and Spider-Man would have to wait for the launch of Marvel's very own official UK imprint, just over a year later, to once more have a British outlet that might show off their talents.

19 comments:

dangermash said...

Yeah, I used to read TV21 and, after the merger, Valiant.

A strange period of time with me being like 4–6 years old and with so many of these stories (unlike the SMCW stories I was reading a few years later) never being reprinted. I can't remember which stories were in those comics and which were in other comics like Fantastic. It all means that every now and then then I see something from one of those comics that I've not seen in over 50 years and it triggers long lost memories. I've just googled the Tuffs from Terror Island and I remember them! In the strip I found, Doctor Nobody is the villain on the Island. He rings a bell but I also have memories of Napoleon being a villain on that strip too!? very weird.

And this has reminded me that somewhere in all those comics and annuals I read some Iron Man stories. This was years before Marvel UK kicked off. I remember being confused by how there was a Tony Stark and an Anthony Stark. I assumed they were brothers. I'd worked out that one of them was Iron Man. But then one time the other was Iron Man and I was too embarrassed t9 ask anybody to explain.

And don't get me started on how I was reading this stuff at age 4–6. I can't imagine kids that age reading stuff like this today. Closest they'd get would be the dumbed down Marvel comics for kids with their free gufts and puzzle pages.

Anonymous said...

TV Comic I remember - but TV21's before my time! I didn't read Silver Surfer vs the Abomination until the 2nd Granddreams Marvel Superheroes Annual, on X-mas Day 1979/1980(?)
Nevertheless, I was mightily impressed. The Silver Surfer had beaten the Abomination (an almost Hulk-level threat), confirming his heroes top-rating, in the Superheroes card game, two X-mases ago! The Abomination's trouncing can be accounted for, though. After all, the Silver Surfer can increase his strength, by drawing on the Power Cosmic, to exceed 'strong men' superheroes, as explained in Surfer vs the Thing (on Peerless Power of C, a while back!) What can't be accounted for, is when Spidey and the Surfer fought, they were level pegging! Consistency's the hobgoblin of little minds, I suppose...( Hell, no! - consistency is everything!)

Phillip

Anonymous said...

STEVE - Welcome home!

You have now created a Charlie dilemma. I thought I had a TV21 Annual. It certainly was a UK annual or at least hard cover, thick, big like DC Thompson. But as I look at the internet I dont see it (There were 8 TV 21 Annuals total.).

It had Tarzan on the cover, Green Hornet (?), etc. Maybe the Phanthom. But all Comic Book and TV stuff kids would like. Help? If you know the title I am sure I could find it!

Steve W. said...

Charlie, was it TV Tornado?

https://www.comics.org/series/22324/covers/

Steve W. said...

Dangermash, sadly, the only things from this issue that rang any bells for me were the Surfer strip and Star Trek being on the front cover.

Phillip, I suppose it's the same as Batman struggling to beat street thugs but being able to defeat Superman.

Anonymous said...

Steve - Yes, quite. I used to consign highly inconsistent stories to "non canon". The trouble being, eventually it was the consistent stories that became the minority (exaggerating only slightly!)

Phillip

Anonymous said...

Thanks Steve! I found my memory! It was Tornado Annual 1968! CH-47

Colin Jones said...

No confusion for me - my first ever Marvel comic was PLANET OF THE APES (UK) #5 which I bought (OK, my mother bought it but we won't split hairs) on Saturday, November 16th 1974. As well as the apes, POTA #5 also featured Ka-Zar and Gullivar Jones, Warrior of Mars. There was also a photo of Dr Zaius on the back-cover but, to my great confusion, I'd now discovered there were TWO versions of Dr Zaius, one from the POTA TV series (which I knew about) and one from a film called PLANET OF THE APES which I'd never heard of before. I'd also never heard of Marvel comics before or encountered any Marvel characters previously so on that Saturday morning in mid-November 1974 a new dawn had broken, had it not (Tony Blair reference there).

Anonymous said...

It's a shame that having gone to the trouble of using the Star Trek actors' likenesses, the cover artist sadly had a black and white tv.

Like Colin (and mentioned many times) my first purchased Marvel comic was Planet of the Apes #4, which wasn't half as good as #5. However, my cousin must have gotten the early Spiderman Comics Weekly, because I remember he had the free paper-bag mask, and I've been recognising a few of the covers recently.


DW

Anonymous said...

Is Gullivar Jones any relation to John Carter?

Steve W. said...

Anonymous, despite their clear similarities, I don't believe Jones and Carter are in any way, shape or form acquainted with each other. I also believe that, despite, Carter's greater fame, Jones was created first.

Steve W. said...

DW, not only is the colour scheme wrong in that strip but Mr Spock refers to Kirk as, "Skipper," which seems highly un-Spock-like.

Oh well. At least he didn't refer to him as, "Skippy." That really would have been weird.

Anonymous said...

Skipper was the Captain in Gilligans Island. Yep.

Anonymous said...

It wouldn’t surprise me if it didn’t start life as a Voyage to the bottom of the sea script.

DW

Anonymous said...

It's a cool idea, that Mars is someplace you can go to, meet interesting aliens, and have adventures.
And walk around without a spacesuit! Like with the Martian Chronicles.
And who knows. Maybe it coulda been like that, if Mars had enough mass to hold onto most of its atmosphere and the water didn't disappear.
Or go someplace else.
Mars is an older planet than Earth, and it got beaten up something terrible in the early years of the solar system, when there was a lotta stuff flying around. It got smaller.
However, I still dig those old comic book or sci-fi stories where intrepid space explorers or space-opera heroes are walking around on Venus or Neptune with all sorta plants and creatures.
Without a helmet!
When I was a kid that's what I thought those planets were like!
It was a big disappointment when I figured out there were no scantily clad women on the Moon.
Probably was for Buzz Aldrin too.

M.P.

Anonymous said...

Charlie, you may be interested to know that TV Tornado was put out by the same (original) publisher as TV21.

Steve, I never saw TV21 back in the day, unless you count the later merged comic with Valiant (alluded to by dangermash above).
Although around the time of the issue discussed here I would have been reading some of the original TV21's Gerry Anderson comic strips, which had a new lease of life reprinted in Countdown (aka TV Action, aka Countdown to TV Action, aka whatever they were calling it in any particular week).
Thunderbirds and Stingray with full colour artwork by Frank Bellamy and Ron Embleton - nice. Better than the Silver Surfer and Spidey imho...

-sean

Anonymous said...

Btw Steve, on the subject of surprising licenced reprints - and seeing as Valiant came up - you may be interested to know that in the mid to late 60s IPC reprinted Asterix the Gaul. Only they made a bit of an Apeslayer-style tweak, and changed him to - quelle horreur! - 'Reg the Brit'.

http://www.paulgravett.com/articles/article/asterix_the_briton

No wonder de Gaulle said 'non!' to the British joining the common market.

-sean

Anonymous said...

*'Fred the Brit'
@#&*ing spellcheck. Why does it even change names?

-sean

Steve W. said...

Sean, I can't help feeling that Reg the Brit works better than Fred the Brit.