Wednesday 1 February 2012

Forty years ago today - February 1972.

Hooray! It's February, named in honour of the Roman god Februlon who got his super-powers by...

...oh OK, I admit it, I've no idea who it's named after.

Not that it matters. All that matters is that this month forty years ago found our heroes still in the mood to give everyone a good kicking.

Avengers #96, the Vision beats up a Skrull, Neal Adams

I think we all remember where we were when we first saw the Vision trying to beat a Skrull to death.

I certainly do.

I was reading an issue of The Avengers.

By an incredible coincidence the Vision was in it, trying to beat a Skrull to death.

With its venture into space and its tale of our heroes vs a Skrull armada, this issue was surely the highlight of Neal Adams' short stint on the strip.
Amazing Spider-Man #105, the return of the Spider-Slayer

It's the return of the foe no one ever seemed to want to see return, as Dr Spencer Smythe and his Spider-Slayer make yet another futile attempt to bump off Spidey.

Captain America #146, Hydra

Captain America's clearly on a mission against Hydra.

But who can that mystery man be?

My money's on either the Kingpin or the Red Skull.
Daredevil #84, the Assassin

Gil Kane gives us another of his determinedly 3D-style covers, as the man without fear bursts out of his own cover box

Is that Mr Kline who's doing the zapping?

I liked Mr Kline. He was up to no good.
Fantastic Four #119, the Black Panther

I used to have a copy of this but owned it before I started collecting comics, and therefore only got to read it once or twice before it found its way to a rubbish tip. I still have fond memories of it though.

Am I right in remembering it as an attack on racial segregation and apartheid?
Incredible Hulk #148, Jarella returns

Jarella's back and causing all sorts of problems for our sun.
Thor #196, Kartag

Thor's messing about fighting Kartag the Keeper while Mangog threatens Asgard itself.
X-Men #74

Is this the one with the pharaoh type bloke in it?

If so, I first read it in an Alan Class comic.

If it's not, I don't have a clue what's going on.

5 comments:

Dougie said...

Kukulca'an from one of my favourite eras of the X-Men, drawn by Werner Roth. The reference in the Mimic issue made him sound so c-cool; then I actually saw him. But he had an apostrophe nearly a decade before Chr's Clarem'nt made them all outer-spacey.

I also had that very same FF issue, bought in a newsagent on the High Street on a rare trip to Glasgow. It was the one where T'Challa became the Black Leopard, to avoid confusion with any activist groups. Think it just lasted for that one issue.

Steve W. said...

Thanks for the info, Dougie.

Kid said...

Don't think I've got the actual issue, but I've got a nice colour reprint of it in a nice edition of Marvel Masterworks. Do I get a prize of some kind for that? Go on, say yes.

Steve W. said...

Yes you do. You get the... ...erm... ...er... ...Steve Memorial Prize For Relevant Reprint Owning. It's a highly prestigious award and one that people have been known to risk their all for.

Rip Jagger said...

These comics are all in my collection. Got'em off the racks when they dropped. Love these blasts from the past, it takes me back to those sweet times when comics were utterly fantastic.

And the "Black Leopard" was one of those bad ideas that quietly went away without further comment.

Rip Off