Friday 20 January 2012

Who's your favourite non-Conan warrior woman?

Queen Boadicea Boudicca waves her arms around a bit, while wearing a helmet and flowing robes, John Opie
Mere days ago, I asked you for your favourite Conan-related warrior woman - and the poll that sprang from it's now up. However, some of you nominated warrior women who were not of the Conan canon.

In order to keep the poll simple and unconfused, I only added nominations to it that were from Conan's universe. But, because I don't want people to feel their other nominations went to waste, I'm going to launch another poll, dedicated to non-Conan battlers. Because even I have to admit sometimes that there's more to life than comics, the nominations can be from any art form and any genre - as long as it's not Conan.

As we all know, Britain has a proud tradition of warrior women. Who of us, in primary school, didn't thrill to tales of Queen Boudicca/Boadicea giving the Romans a good thrashing with her ninja skills and chain mail bikini? And, of course, we also have good old Britannia, ready to stab people with her trident at the drop of a hat.

But there're other warrior women too. Who can forget Xena - or her arch-enemy Callisto? There's Wonder Woman, She-Ra, that woman in Battle Beyond the Stars, Kate Bush in that video with the cello; and, no doubt, a thousand others I've neglected to mention.

Still, despite this, I'm inevitably going to nominate The Defenders' Valkyrie, as I like her hair.

But don't let this high level of thinking intimidate you. Feel free to nominate your own favourite.

Needless to say, in a couple of days from now, I'll gather together your nominations - and the left-over ones from the previous post - and put them in a poll.

And then, at last, the world can decided just who is the world's favourite warrior woman.

12 comments:

Aggy said...

Ok I'm going to give 3 nominations. One real life, one TV and one from the art world.

Have to give Boudica (Boadicea if you prefer) the nod in the real life section.Killed 10's of thousands and almost drove the Romans out of Britain.

In TV I'm tempted to go with Xena, especially as I have a huge (*cough*) soft spot for Lucy Lawless. Also in my thoughts is Summer Glau's River Tam from Firefly/Serenity. The image of the doors opening on her standing with an axe dripping in blood is one of Whedons best shots.

But my TV nomination actually goes to SMG as Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Dying twice during the series still didn't stop her killing off so many vamps and demons that even Conan would be impressed.

Art world? Pretty much any women painted by Frank Frazetta. But if I only have one choice (as I'm bending the rules already!) then I go with Huntress (Check out frankfrazetta.net Gallery 1 Page 3 if you don't know it).

There you go Steve, your choice which one makes the poll.

Ade Salmon said...

Red Sophia from Cerebus the Aardvark.

Warrior Woman from Invaders

Electra from Daredevil.

Rip Jagger said...

In comics I nominate Thundra, the ultimate kick-butt Femizon who debuted in the Fab 4 and soon enough fell for old Blue Eyes himself.

In film I'm surprising myself by nominating Keira Knightly's portrayal of Guinevere in King Arthur. She's tiny and impossibly strong but beyond tough. I enjoy this popcorn event out of all proportion to its merit, but there you are.

Rip Off

Bear Boy said...

For those of a certain age (and this is a Bronze Age blog) Hu San-Niang from that TV series 'The Water Margin' made a big impression. The novelty of a girl doing martial arts among a horde of men and with those twin sabres!

Then again I remember being rather taken with Princess Aura in THAT film version of Flash Gordon. She may have been missing her Witch Women but you wouldn't want to mess with her.

And as a final nomination, the short-lived but memorable Harmony Killdragon (from the dying days of Deadly Hands of Kung-Fu) with those lethal shuriken at the end of her ponytail.

Steve W. said...

Bear Boy; Hu San-Niang from the Water Margin! Now you're talking. I'd completely forgotten about her till now. I used to love that show.

Inkstained Wretch said...

I am going to go with Leela from the 1970s Doctor Who. It was nice to have female companion for the Doctor who kicked ass = and in leather too.

starfoxxx said...

Red Sonja drawn by Byrne from the Marvel Team-Up with Spidey was super-HOT. Good comic, too.

La Belle Esplanade said...

Hippolyta.

Boston Bill said...

The 'Warrior Woman' (that's what IMDB lists her as) from 'Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior'!

She only had about 3 lines, but she stole the movie.

Steve W. said...

Thanks for all your suggestions. The poll's now up, so nominations are now closed. :)

R. W. Watkins said...

Does anyone remember Nan-zee from the short-lived Beowulf series by DC (1975-'76)...? Imagine running around medieval Britain dressed as skimpy as that! Wow. Nan-zee gets my vote.

Steve W. said...

I'm not sure if I've ever read an issue of Beowulf. I have a feeling I might've had the one where he's on the cover, forcing a giant serpent's mouth open but I'm not certain.